Parks and Recreation Special Events
Bloomington shines brightest during these special events. Local arts and recreation organizations join with the City's Parks and Recreation staff to create fun for Bloomington's families, neighbors and friends. From winter to fall, the town is jumping with excitement. Please join in!
Winter Fete (January/February)
January 20 - 28, 2019
Join Bloomington Parks and Recreation and area sponsors in welcoming winter during the 12th annual Winter Fete Celebration. Most activities are free and all activities are fun for the whole family!
Check out the Winter Fete page for more information
Egg Hunt and Family Fun (April)
Saturday, April 20, 2019
5901 West 84th Street
Rain or shine!
10 - 11 a.m.
Enjoy music, information booths, prize drawings and other family fun activities sponsored by the City of Bloomington.
Kids ages 8 and under are invited to come and hunt for 9,000 eggs scattered around the Normandale Lake Bandshell. The egg hunt is sponsored by the Bloomington Optimists Club.
- Musical entertainment
- Informational booths by the Bloomington Optimists Club and the City of Bloomington's Parks and Recreation, Fire Department, Human Services, Police Department, Environmental Health, Public Health and more!
- flyer coming soon!
Step To It Challenge (May)
May 1 - May 28, 2019
What is the Step To It Challenge?
The Step To It Challenge is a FREE four-week physical activity challenge that motivates people of all ages and abilities to become more physically active. Family members, coworkers, schoolmates, neighbors, and friends come together to participate in this friendly competition among communities. Participants have opportunities to win prizes such as Twins tickets, T-shirts and more!
How do I get started?
- If you work or live in Bloomington, join our team online.
- Registration begins April 1 at www.steptoit.org
- Log your steps and other activities daily at the Step To It Challenge website beginning May 1, 2017. Use the online conversion chart to track other activities such as biking, zumba, skateboarding or even washing your car!
- Get moving and stay active!
- Check back for community rankings and status updates.
Paper registration forms are available upon request. Participants may also fax (612-348-7548) or call (612-348-5618) in their weekly steps.
Benefits of Step To It
- All individuals who log their steps have a chance to win a pair of Twins tickets, T-shirts and other prizes through random drawings.
- The individual with the highest step total will win a pair of Twins tickets and be recognized on the field during a game this summer.
- The City with the most steps will win the "Most Steps Walked" Award.
- The City with the most active walkers will win the "Highest Average Number of Steps per Resident" Award.
- Information will be available again in April!
Get to Know Public Works (May)
Saturday, May 18, 2019
Bloomington Public Works Building, 1700 West 98th Street
Please join us for a fun, family event that will celebrate and demonstrate the essential and quality of life service that Public Works provide to the community year round.
- Equipment display, equipment rides, demonstrations and interactive displays, prizes snacks and more!
- Children of all ages are welcome, but must be accompanied by an adult.
- Entry is free of charge!
Questions? 952-563-4870 or publicworks@BloomingtonMN.gov
- flyer coming soon!
Arts in the Parks (June - August)
Various days June - August
Grab the kids and invite the neighbors to see the best music groups and entertainers in the Twin Cities. Arts in the Parks includes Monday Morning Kids events, Evening Performances, Thursday Blockbusters and Moonlight Movies. All programs are free of charge and open to the public.
Discover more about all the excitement on the Arts in the Parks page.
Saturdays, June 8 - October 19, 2019 (outdoor markets)
Wednesdays, July 10 - August 14, 2019 (Midweek Music & Market)
Saturday, November 9, 2019 and Saturday, December 7, 2019 (two indoor markets indoors at Bloomington Civic Plaza)
The Bloomington Farmers Market is a weekly gathering in which farmers, growers and producers sell their own products directly to the public. At the market you will find a great variety of fresh locally grown produce as well as flowers, meat, cheese, honey, maple syrup, berries, fresh baked goods, jams, jellies, coffee, smoothies, art and more! The market also features music and special activities.
To learn more or become a vendor, check out our Farmers Market page
Safety Boot Camp (June)
June 19, 2019
10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Bloomington Civic Plaza Amphitheater
1800 W. Old Shakopee Road
Attend a morning of fun safety activities. You will be able to participate and learn through the help of Bloomington's finest divisions: Police, Fire, Environmental Health, Public Health, Parks Maintenance and Parks and Recreation! This event is free to the public and there is no registration required!
Summer Fete (July 3)
Bloomington's Independence Day celebration is held each year on July 3 at Normandale Lake Park. The fun starts with a carnival, includes two entertainment stages, a great line up of performers, and as usual, a fantastic fireworks display just after dusk!
On the Summer Fete page you can find detailed information on performers, parking, schedule, weather and more!
River Rendezvous (September)
September 16 - 20, 2019
This wonderful festival is a chance to experience living history at the Pond-Dakota Mission Park in Bloomington, Minnesota. Its goal is to demonstrate the lifestyles of people living in Minnesota between 1830 and 1870 through story-telling and interactive, hands-on demonstration!
The public event is held in the evening on the Thursday of the week. For more information check out the River Rendezvous page!
Halloween Party (October)
October 31, 2019
6 - 8 p.m.
Bloomington Ice Garden - 3600 West 98th Street
Join us for a Fun and Safe Bloomington Citywide Halloween Party! This event is for preschoolers through fourth graders accompanied by an adult.
- Children will enjoy Trick or Treat Alley, open skating, games, prizes and much more.
- Admission is free. Donations of a non-perishable food items for the VEAP food shelf is greatly appreciated.
Coloring contest entry period has ended. Entries are no longer being accepted.
Please click the flyer links below for general information about the Halloween Party.
- Age groups: Preschool: 3 - 4 years, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grades.
- Complete the drawing on a printout of page 2 of the PDF using markers, crayons or colored pencils.
- Coloring contest entries are no longer being accepted.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes will be awarded for each age group.
The Citywide Halloween Party is presented by the Recreation Division of the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department and is co-sponsored by the Bloomington Optimist Club.