Bloomington Ice Garden
The Bloomington Ice Garden opened in 1970 with one rink. BIG now has three rinks, one of them Olympic-sized, and boasts a seating capacity of 2,500.
During the winter, you may also visit Bloomington's outdoor skating rinks.
Please follow the guidelines set forth in the Operations and Safety Plans linked immediately below.
- BIG Operations and Safety Plan - General - Updated 01/08/2021
- BIG Operations and Safety Plan - Games and Tournaments - Updated 01/08/2021
Thank you for adhering to these guidelines. If you have questions, please contact BIG at 952-563-8841 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Skate School is back, but some programs may be unavailable. Click below for details.
Developmental hockey - Canceled until further notice
Schedule subject to change. Visit http://ice.blm.mn to view current schedule.
About developmental ice
- Open to hockey players of all ages.
- Players can spend time with a coach, parent or on their own.
- Helmet and mouth guard are required.
- All participants are allowed into the building 15 minutes prior to the start of, and must exit 15 minutes after the conclusion of Developmental Hockey.
- Everyone must wear a mask at all times while in the building.
- Participants must provide name and phone number for potential contact tracing purposes, per Minnesota Department of Health guidelines.
Figure skaters – Pro's ice
Visit http://ice.blm.mn to view current schedule.
Cost: $11 per person per hour
Open skating schedule
Open skating begins January 11, 2021.
9 - 10:15 a.m.* on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- All participants are allowed into the building 15 minutes prior to the start of Open Skating and will need to exit the building within 15 minutes after the end of Open Skating.
- The first 25 skaters will be allowed onto the Open Skating session – no more.
- All participants must be able to skate by themselves – no one may be carried.
- Everyone must wear a mask at all times while in the building and on the ice. Skaters under 6 years old do not have to wear a mask, but it is encouraged.
- Participants will need to provide name and phone number in case they need to be contacted for contact tracing per MDH.
- NO rental skates are available.
- NO training aids/pushers are available.
- NO birthday or group parties allowed.
- NO sticks or pucks are allowed.
* Schedule subject to change. Visit http://ice.blm.mn to view current schedule.
- Adults: $5
- Students 17 and under: $4
- Coupon Book: $20 (6 coupons for use by adults or students)
- Skate rental: Not currently available
- Skate sharpening: $6
Bloomington Skate School
The Bloomington Ice Garden Skate School offers skating lessons year round. View the 2020-2021 BIG Skate School Brochure and Schedule for a complete list of session dates, class times and prices.
Registration deadline is 10 a.m. the day prior to the first day of class for each session.
The mission of Learn to Skate USA is to provide a fun and positive experience that will instill a lifelong love of skating. As the only ice skating program endorsed by U.S. Figure Skating, USA Hockey, US Speedskating and the Professional Skaters Association, Learn to Skate USA offers every participant a rewarding experience rooted in the lifelong benefits of ice skating.
How to Register for Parks and Rec Programs Online
Many programs, such as BIG Skate School for example, require participant households to be registered with the City of Bloomington program management system. To assist, please review this comprehensive tutorial on how to complete that process. Online Registration Instructions