The Medallion Hunt has begun. Click the tab below for clues every Monday and Thursday until the medallion is found, or Valentine's Day, whichever comes first.
Winter Fete 2022
Join Bloomington Parks and Recreation along with community partners in January and February, 2022 as we embrace the season during the 18th Annual Winter Fete celebration. See below for a list of activities associated with this year's event and check back often as new events and other details may be added. All Winter Fete activities are free unless otherwise noted, and fun for the whole family!
Fishing isn’t just a summer activity! Once our lakes freeze over, we can venture out and catch fish through the ice. We will show you how to use the equipment, understand and find where the fish live in winter, and practice reeling in the different species that call Bush Lake home. All equipment will be provided.
- Where: Bush Lake Beach
- Dates: January 9, 16, 17, 23, 30. February 6, 13, 20, 21, 27.
- Times: 12 - 2 p.m.
- Fee: $5 per person
- Registration: blm.mn/webtrac
- Maximum of 15 participants per event. Children must have adult supervision.
Join MORC volunteers for a Winter Fete 2022 Fat Tire Bike group ride on Saturday, January 15. This will be a fun gruop ride at an enjoyable pace.
- Where: Meet at the Lyndale Avenue parking lot below the 35W bridge.
- When: 1 p.m.
- Weather: Ride is weather dependent. If too cold, it may be canceled by MORC organizers.
- Equipment: None provided. Must have own bike and helmet.
For more information, visit MORC on Facebook.
Enjoy a skating exhibition and free open skating. The exhibition will take place 2 - 2:45 p.m., with open skating to follow until 3:30 p.m. Free skate rental included!
- Where: Bloomington Ice Garden, 3600 W. 98th Street
- When: January 16, 2022
- Fee: Free
- Registration: None required
Minneapolis Ski Jumping Club presents the International Nordic Ski Jumping Competition, taking place under the stadium lights at Bush Lake Ski Jump, 8401 East Bush Lake Road, Bloomington. Elite athletes from Europe, Canada and all across the USA will take to the skies in head-to-head competition.
Many former and future Olympians will be there perfecting their form in the local leg of the Midwestern 5 Hills Tour--part of the US Cup Series. Skiers will be soaring up to 300 feet for trophies and cash prizes!
- Spectators will be admitted beginning at 5 p.m.
- Tournament begins at 6 p.m.
- Competition typically concludes by 9 p.m.
- $10 - Age 13 and up
- FREE - Age 12 and under
Experience this unique and spectacular show outdoors. Tour the site and watch from most non-groomed areas. Dress warmly and surround a fire pit with friends and family while watching the high-flying action!
- Due to COVID-19, Minnesota Ski Jumping Club concessions and indoor chalet seating will be unavailable.
- If you have questions or want more information, please contact the Minneapolis Ski Jumping Club.
On the Hunt
The Third Annual Bloomington Parks and Recreation Medallion Hunt will take place in January and February, 2022 as part of Winter Fete. The hunt will end when someone finds the commemorative medallion, or on February 14, whichever comes first. The medallion will be hidden in one of Bloomington's 97 parks.
This is what you're looking for! It's about as big across as a hockey puck or a typical coffee table drink coaster.
Clues and Timing
Clues will be provided on Mondays and Thursdays on this web page and on the Facebook home of Bloomington Parks and Recreation.
NOTE: The first clue will actually be on Tuesday, January 18 due to the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. From then on, clues will be posted on Mondays and Thursdays until the medallion is found.
MEDALLION HUNT CLUES
- Clue #1: Tuesday, January 18
- The medallion can be found outdoors in a Bloomington park. You have 97 choices in which to embark.
- Clue #2: Thursday, January 20
- The medallion finder will earn themselves a prize. Don’t dig, don’t destroy, and you might find where it lies.
- Clue #3 (if necessary: Monday, January 24
- Clue #4 (if necessary): Thursday, January 27
- Clue #5 (if necessary): Monday, January 31
- Clue #6 (if necessary): Thursday, February 3
- Clue #7 (if necessary): Monday, February 7
- Clue #8 (if necessary): Thursday, February 10
- Clue #9 (if necessary): Monday, February 14
- although honestly, this one will be less a "clue" and more just straight-up directions to the medallion.
Whoever finds the Medallion will win a prize package. Details coming soon.
AND THE WINNER IS...
Once the hunt begins, please contact Parks and Recreation at 952-563-8877 or email@example.com with questions and/or WHEN YOU FIND THE MEDALLION. We don't want to miss out on giving you props for your accomplishment and letting others know that they can stop looking.
Meet last year's winners...
Courtesy of Three Rivers Park District, experience the adventures of Minnesota’s hardy ice harvesters. All activities are ongoing and will be spread out to allow for social distancing. Activities will close at the end of the program time.
- Cut blocks of ice out of the pond with a vintage ice saw and pull an antique ice plow.
- Weigh blocks of ice, use chipping tools, and make ice cubes.
- Discover food preservation techniques with costumed interpreters from The Landing and hear stories from ice harvesting historians.
- Try a kick-sled, throw a snow snake and watch an ice rescue demonstration by Bloomington Fire and Rescue.
- Keep warm by a campfire.
Where: Richardson Nature Center, 8737 East Bush Lake Road
When: Saturday, January 22, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Registration: None required
Experience beautiful Pond Dakota Mission Park in the winter at the annual Winter History Festival. Enjoy fun outdoor activities including:
- Guided snowshoe walks in the Minnesota River Valley.
- Authentic historic outdoor games including Snow Snakes, Fox and Geese, and Hide the Hanky.
- Hear stories from winters past.
Limited free parking available in the Pond Dakota Mission Park lot. Additional free parking available at the adjacent Emmanuel Lutheran Church.
- Where: Pond Dakota Mission Park and the Historic Pond House, 401 E. 104th Street
- Activities will occur outdoors
- The historic Pond House will not be open for this event
- When: Saturday, January 29, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Fee: Free
- Registration: None required.
The 2022 Three Rivers Park District Ski Rennet will feature Nordic skiing on world-class trails, with distances for every level of skier; an all-day party with music, ski and fat bike demos; a race village with food; and more!
Race options include 26K Skate and Classic, 12K Skate and Classic, 5K Fun Ski, 2K Para Nordic Cup, youth races, 10K and 3K Skijor, and fat bike races in the late afternoon and evening.
- Where: Hyland Lake Park Reserve, 10145 Bush Lake Road
- When: Saturday, January 29
- Fee: Varies depending on event and date of registration. See registration link for details.
- Registration: Required. Register here.
- More Details: Visit https://www.threeriversparks.org/skirennet for additional event details.
Enjoy a scenic winter walk around Girard Lake, along a path lit by beautiful luminary lanterns.
- Where: Girard Lake Park, 8401 France Avenue South
- When: January 29, 2022, 6 - 9:30 p.m.
- Fee: Free
- Registration: None required
This is a self-guided activity. No City staff will be present and there are no restroom facilities on site.
Winter Fete is Presented by the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department