Parks and Recreation Special Events
Bloomington shines brightest during these special events. Local arts, recreation and community organizations join with the City's Parks and Recreation staff to create fun for Bloomington's families, neighbors and friends. From winter to fall, the town is jumping with excitement. Please join in!
January 9 - February 27, 2022
Join Bloomington Parks and Recreation and community partners in welcoming winter during the 18th annual Winter Fete Celebration. Most activities are free and all activities are fun for the whole family!
Visit the Winter Fete page for all of the exciting details.
May 1-28, 2022
What is the Step To It Challenge?
The Step To It Challenge is a FREE four-week physical activity challenge that motivates people of all ages and abilities to become more physically active. Family members, coworkers, schoolmates, neighbors, and friends come together to participate in this friendly competition among communities.
How do I get started?
- If you work or live in Bloomington, join our team online.
- Registration begins April 1 at www.steptoit.org
- Log your steps and other activities daily at the Step To It Challenge website beginning May 1, 2022. Use the online conversion chart to track other activities such as biking, zumba, skateboarding, working around the house or even washing your car!
- Get moving and stay active!
- Check back for community rankings and status updates and help your city earn bragging rights as the most active!
Kites and Bites is back in 2022!
Enjoy food trucks, music and kites, all of which will take over Valley View Playfields at 90th Street and Portland Avenue South on June 11, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
FREE kites will be available for youth age 18 and younger while supplies last. Of course, you can always bring your own kites to fly as well!
- Heavy Metal Grill
- Taste the Real Nawlins
- KCM Eggrolls
- Potter's Pasties
- Taqueria el Victor
- Tot Boss
- Big Bell Ice Cream
MUSIC AND ENTERTAINMENT
Have a blast dancing and moving to the high energy KidsDance DJ performance. 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Various days June - August
Grab the kids and invite the neighbors to see the best music groups and entertainers in the Twin Cities. Arts in the Parks includes Monday Morning Kids Series, Tuesday Performance Series, Midweek Music and Market, Thursday Blockbusters and Friday Night Live. All programs are free of charge and open to the public.
Learn more and discover the exciting lineup in store for 2022 on the Arts in the Parks web page.
Saturdays, June 11 - October 15, 2022 (outdoor markets)
Wednesdays, July 13 - August 24, 2022 (Midweek Music & Market)
The Bloomington Farmers Market is a weekly gathering in which farmers, growers and producers sell their own products directly to the public. At the market you will find a great variety of fresh locally grown produce as well as flowers, meat, cheese, honey, maple syrup, berries, fresh baked goods, jams, jellies, coffee, smoothies, art and more! The market also features music and special activities.
To learn more or become a vendor, check out our Farmers Market page
July 3, 2022
5 - 10:30 p.m.
Normandale Lake Park
84th Street between Normandale Blvd and Chalet Road
Bloomington's Independence Day celebration is held each year on July 3 at Normandale Lake Park. The fun includes music, food, fireworks and more!
In June you'll find information on performers, food, parking, weather and other details on the Summer Fete page.
Have you ever wondered how a fire truck works? Want to learn what EMTs and Police officers do? Those questions and more will be answered during a morning of fun safety activities.
Participate and learn with the help of Bloomington’s Police, Fire, Environmental Health, Public Health, Parks Maintenance and Parks and Recreation staff.
Date: Wednesday, July 13
Time: 10 a.m - 12 p.m.
Site: Bloomington Civic Plaza Outdoor Amphitheater (east side of Civic Plaza)
Ages: All ages welcome.
Registration: None required.
For more information or questions, contact Parks and Recreation:
email@example.com | 952-563-8877 | MN Relay 711
River Rendezvous 2022
This wonderful festival is a chance to experience living history at Pond-Dakota Mission Park in Bloomington, Minnesota. The goal is to demonstrate the lifestyles of people living in Minnesota between 1830 and 1870 through story-telling and interactive, hands-on demonstrations!
River Rendezvous 2022 takes place September 24, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. For all the details, visit the River Rendezvous page!
2022 Halloween Event information coming late summer.
October 31, 2021
3:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Normandale Lake Park
West 84th Street & Chalet Road
Join us for the first-ever Trick or Treat Trail at the 2021 Citywide Halloween event.
This FREE outdoor event takes place at Normandale Lake Park, 84th Street and Chalet Road and is designed for children preschool age through 5th grade.
- Park in the lots along Chalet Road.
- Begin your journey along the trail at the boat launch on the west side of the lake (see map below).
- Trail includes music, candy and more surprises!
- Costumes not required.
- Free event. No registration required.
- Donation of a non-perishable food item for the VEAP food shelf is appreciated but not required.
- Event takes place weather permitting. In case of inclement weather, updates will be posted here and on the Bloomington Parks and Recreation Facebook page.
Wiggle, Jiggle and Jam: 4 - 4:45 p.m. on the Bandshell Stage!
Wendy's Wiggle, Jiggle and Jam features music and fun for the entire family. Jump, dance, move and grove to the music in this engaging concert where every child gets to be a star!
Event and Parking Map
2021 Coloring Contest
Download and print the linked flyer to participate in the coloring contest. See rules and details below.
- 2021 Trick or Treat Trail Flyer and Coloring Contest (English)
- 2021 Trick or Treat Trail Flyer and Coloring Contest - Español
- 2021 Trick or Treat Trail Flyer and Coloring Contest - Soomaali
- Age groups: Preschool (3 - 4 years), Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grades.
- Color the drawing on a printout of page 2 of the PDF linked above using markers, crayons or colored pencils.
- Contest entry deadline has passed. But you can still download the coloring sheets above just for fun!
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes will be awarded for each age/grade category.
View and Vote
Voting has now concluded in the 2021 Citywide Halloween Coloring Contest. View the top three in each grade here.
The Citywide Halloween Event is presented by the Recreation Division of the City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department and is co-sponsored by the Bloomington Optimist Club.