The Planning Division guides Bloomington's future land use direction through long range plans and zoning controls. The division reviews and prepares recommendations on applications for development, rezoning, use permits and variances and works closely with the Planning Commission.
In 2016, the Planning Division initiated a paperless review system. If you click here, you will be directed to the City Portal where all information regarding any Planning action may be reviewed. Also, information on any permits issued for a specific address can be viewed.
- Bloomington Data Book - April 2016.pdf
- Community profile
- Demographics and census information
- Interactive maps: These applications use data stored in our geographic information system (GIS). Property information, construction projects, maximum building height, Land Use Guide Plan and zoning information are just some of the great tools for use at this link.
- Report - Miller Dunwiddie Community Survey of Historic Sites
Zoning and codes
- Bloomington Zoning ordinance – Chapter 19 and Chapter 21 of the City Code
- Bloomington Zoning ordinance update project
- Landscaping and screening plan submittal requirements
- Requirements for towers and wireless facilities
- Starting a home enterprise
- Zoning Map – updated 2017-05-31 – Zoom in within the PDF file to view hatch patterns.
- Height limits map – updated 2012-08-01
- MSP Airport Zoning Ordinance
- Commercial districts and standards
- Accessory Dwelling Unit standards
- Two-Family Dwelling standards
- Solar Power standards
- Exterior Lighting standards
- Fence standards
- Parking standards
More information can be found on other development projects on the Development map.