Programs for Ages 50+
Enjoy Five Days of Holiday Fun for adults ages 50 and above, including a movie, a concert, bingo, and more! See below for details. Download and share the Five Days of Holiday Fun at Creekside flyer.
- Holiday Movie - December 11, 11:30 a.m. Enjoy the animated classic “The Polar Express.” Refreshments including free popcorn provided.
- Bloomingtones Concert - December 12, 10 a.m. Creekside’s Bloomingtones choral group sings seasonal classics. Refreshments provided.
- Holiday Bingo - December 13, 10 a.m. Play bingo for holiday-themed prizes.
- Festive Sweater Day - December 14, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Wear a festive sweater and hit the photo booth for pictures to print and take home!
- Ornament Craft Workshop - December 15, 2 - 4 p.m. Create unique, handmade ornaments to take home. All supplies provided.
Designed to keep adults age 50+ and all adults with a disability actively engaged in the community, these programs serve those seeking opportunity to become involved and stay connected.
Bloomington offers a unique opportunity for those who are 50+ participants and want to be involved and leaders in the planning, developing and implementing of activities and programs.
Finish incomplete projects or challenge your inner artist and create something beautiful with donated supplies we have on hand.
Monday: 1 - 3 p.m.
Check out leatherworking and learn to make crafts and works of art out of leather. Tools, leather, and dyes available to use.
Monday and Wednesday: 12:30 - 3 p.m.
Socialize while creating blankets, scarves and other clothing items. Each year, local charities and schools receive an average 4,000 items are donated from this group.
Thursday: 9 - 11:30 a.m.
North Star Scrollers
All ability levels are welcomed to learn everything about scroll sawing. $20 annual dues.
First Saturday of the Month: 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. (September - May)
Share your talents with this group. Crafts and quilts are made using donated materials. Many of the items are donated to various charities.
Tuesday and Friday: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Rock Shop (Lapidary)
Cut and polish rocks and gemstones into decorative pieces. Training and supplies are provided. There is a $5 fee per visit.
Tuesday: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Wednesday: 12 – 3 p.m.
Thursday: 12 – 3 p.m.
This fully equipped wood shop is available to those looking to design and work on various projects. There is a $1 fee per visit. Participants must pass a proficiency test and wear an ID badge.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Mondays, 12 – 3:15 p.m. $0.50 to play.
Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 12:30 – 3:30 p.m. $1 to play.
Wednesdays, 12:30 – 3 p.m. and Thursdays, 12:45 – 3:15 p.m. $1 to play.
Wednesdays, 9 – 11:30 a.m. $1 to play.
Hand and Foot Canasta
Mondays, 12:30 – 3:30 p.m. $1 to play.
Fridays, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. $0.50 to play.
Single deck. Mondays, 12:30 - 3:30 p.m. $1 to play.
AARP Smart Driver Program
Refresh your skills and perhaps qualify for lower insurance rates. This course teaches proven driving techniques to help keep you and your
loved ones safe on the road.
- Initial 8-hour class
- 2nd Tuesday every month
- 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Refresher class
- 1st and 3rd Tuesday every month
- 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Registration required. Fees apply.
- Participants must be 50 or older.
- A non-refundable, non-transferable $5 service fee is due at the time of registration, payable to City of Bloomington.
- Instructor fee is due at the time of class, payable to AARP. Exact change or check for $20 for AARP members and $25 for non-members. Bring AARP card.
- For more information and registration, call 952-563-4944 (MN Relay 711), or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you cannot attend a Tuesday Creekside class, contact the AARP state office at 952-858-9040 for information on classes at other locations.
Download, print and share the AARP Smart Driver Program flyer.
Dakim BrainFitness System
This touch screen computer program gives you a fully personalized workout to maintain brain fitness and slow the effects of cognitive decline. Stop by Creekside for a quick demonstration, complete an application and begin your personal brain fitness program today.
The Creekside Library has an extensive collection of books and puzzles available for anyone to borrow.
Open Computer Lab
Tutors are on hand to help with PC technology questions Thursdays, 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. Bring your own laptop, tablet or cell phone.
Senior Discussion Group
Enjoy conversation with other older adults on a range of topics such as adjusting to retirement, staying healthy, and current news. This group offers the opportunity to meet new people and share your interests. Senior Discussion Group leader will offer conversation topics weekly, but participants are also encouraged to bring your own topics for discussion.
Subjects may include:
- Current Events
- News articles
Group meets Tuesdays, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Download, print and share the Senior Discussion Group flyer.
Writers of all skill levels welcome. Bring out the best writer in you in whichever genre you prefer. Meets 1 - 3 p.m. on the fourth Thursday of the month, January – October and the third Thursday of the month, November and December.
Gentle Mat Yoga
Learn a gentle form of yoga with modified movements and proper breathing techniques. Offered on Tuesdays in 6-week sessions except as noted. See fees below.
- January 2 - February 6
- Session 1: 9 - 10 a.m.
- Session 2: 10:15 - 11:15 a.m.
A modified form of yoga, using exercise principles of traditional yoga to increase participant's health and fitness by replacing a floor mat with a chair. Offered on Fridays in 6-week sessions except as noted. See fees below.
- January 5 - February 9
- Session 1: 9 - 10 a.m.
- Session 2: 10:15 - 11:15 a.m.
- 6-week Session: $42 for Bloomington residents, $54 for nonresidents
- 5-week Session: $35 for Bloomington residents, $45 for nonresidents
- Drop-in: $11 for Bloomington residents, $13 for nonresidents. (available when space allows)
- Cancellation policy applies.
Download, print and/or share:
Fun Functional Fitness
Improve strength, balance, and flexibility in this 45-minute class. Light weights and bands will be provided for a total body workout. Class will be modified for all abilities.
- Thursdays, 12 - 12:45 p.m.
- 5-week session: January 4 - February 1, 2024
- $35 - Bloomington resident
- $45 - nonresident
- Location: Room 110
- Registration: Required. Register online
- Download, print and share the Fun Functional Fitness January - February 2024 Flyer
Staying Active and Independent for Life (SAIL)
The hour long classes include a warmup, low impact aerobics, balance exercises, strength training with weights, stretching exercises, and an educational component. SAIL can accommodate people with a mild level of mobility difficulty and those who are regularly active. The exercises focus on improving flexibility, bone and muscle strength, and overall fitness—important activities that adults can do to stay active and reduce their chance of falling.
- Tuesdays and Fridays
- 10:15 - 11:15 a.m.
- All equipment provided.
- Registration required.
- Contact Creekside at 952-563-4944, MN Relay 711, or email@example.com
- Download, print and share the SAIL Flyer
Low Impact Exercise
Offering a light and moderate way to exercise, this class focuses on balance, low impact aerobics and strength training at not cost.
- Mondays, 9 - 10 a.m. and 10 - 11 a.m.
- Fridays, 9 - 10 a.m. and 10 - 11 a.m.
Walking Club (*new in 2023*)
Join in the fun of the Creekside Walking Club! This free program meets Tuesday mornings at various Bloomington parks, where a Parks and Recreation Department staff member will lead a 1–3 mile hike.
Participants can go at their own pace and distance. Walking Club focuses on socialization and enjoying the great outdoors. Meeting locations and routes will be sent via email to registered participants.
Register online at blm.mn/webtrac.
Bloomington Public Health
Free Medicare Counseling Appointments
One-on-one appointments to help navigate the often complex process of enrolling in Medicare or supplemental health insurance policies. Provided by the Senior LinkAge Line.
- Schedule an in-person appointment at trellisconnects.org/get-help/medicare or 1-800-333-2433.
- Second and fourth Tuesdays, no fee.
The Nurse Is In
Contact Ann at 612-704-3578.
Talk with a Bloomington Public Health Thursdays, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. regarding:
- Fall prevention education
- Medication review
- Blood pressure check
- Active aging
- Understanding lab results
- Education with diagnosis
- Healthy living tips
- Contacting your clinic
- Assistance contacting your insurance company
Become involved in the planning, developing and implementing of activities and programs for the 50+ Program.
Music groups are available for performances in Bloomington and the greater metropolitan area. NEW MEMBERS ARE WELCOME TO JOIN!
A mixed choral group who sing a wide variety of music from all eras for pleasure and entertainment. Rehearsals are Fridays, 9:30 a.m.
Classic Country Music Jam
Join, listen or dance as a group of musicians provide a FREE country concert Thursdays, 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at Creekside Community Center.
This band plays and sings oldies, country, polkas, waltzes, and show tunes at various venues in the area. Welcoming new members of all abilities that have an interest in music. Rehearsals are Thursdays, 10 - 11:30 a.m.
Board Game Group
NOTE: The board game group is taking a break for the summer. It will return in September 2023.
Enjoy a variety of familiar and fun board games, and learn some new ones, in a relaxed, social setting at Creekside Community Center.
- Second and fourth Friday of each month
- 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Room 110
Download, print and share the Board Game Group flyer.
A women’s social group playing bocce ball and other activities such as boat trips, pool parties, farmers markets, and more. Fees may apply.
- Bocce Ball – Valley View Park, every Wednesday, 9:30 a.m. (June – September)
- Bunco – Creekside, second Wednesday, 12:30 p.m.
- Book Club – Creekside, fourth Wednesday, 12:30 p.m.
- Contact Creekside for current book title. 952-563-4944 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Men’s sports leagues including bocce ball, bowling, tennis, golf, softball, table tennis and volleyball. For more information, contact Parks and Recreation at 952-563-8877. Fees may apply.
Create and design flower containers and gardens at Creekside. Donations of plants and gardening tools are accepted and can be picked up by volunteers. Monthly group meetings the fourth Wednesday of each month, January through October, 10 – 11:30 a.m. Holds an Annual Plant Exchange the first Saturday in June, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. every year.
Informal games and equipment
Puzzles, card and board games in the library. Bocce ball, shuffleboard, table tennis, and Nintendo Wii (bowling, tennis, and golf) equipment to check out and use at Creekside.
Stay active and start a league today. Video bowling, tennis, golf, and more. Wii bowling Wednesday league, 12 p.m.
Calling ALL pool players! $15 annual membership fee. All skill levels welcome.
- Monday – Wednesday, 8 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Thursday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Ladies Only: Thursdays, 1 – 3:30 p.m.
Download, print and share:
Cancellation made due to lack of enrollment: 100% refund
- Prior to registration deadline: 100% refund, less $5 processing fee
- After registration deadline: NO refund
Watch these informative videos about ongoing and past events to learn more about the various ways you can stay active, engaged and connected at Creekside Community Center.