Council Minute with Mayor Busse featuring 2023 budget discussions
In the October 26, 2022 Council Minute, Mayor Busse explains the Council’s decision to vote down a proposal to provide Artistry a loan and the latest on the City’s 2023 budget, and honors Native American Heritage Month.
In the September 14, 2022 Council Minute, Mayor Busse shares the 2023 preliminary tax levy approved by Council on Monday, September 12, 2022, plus explains some changes coming to the Bloomington HRA and Port Authority.
In the August 24, 2022 Council Minute, Mayor Tim Busse discusses the August 22nd special City Council meeting where councilmembers and staff discussed the 2023 preliminary tax levy and general fund budget.
Budget discussions at City Council meetings
Presentations and discussions on the 2023 budget process began in May 2022.
May 16, 2022: 2023 Budget Update and Discussion
August 22, 2022: Special meeting to discuss preliminary tax levy and general fund budget
September 12, 2022: Approve preliminary 2023 tax levy
October 3, 2022: Non-property tax budget requests
- Non-property tax budget requests for the following 11 funds that will be on consent at the October 3, 2022 City Council Meeting for the Council’s approval. These funds do not receive property tax support.
Special Revenue Funds: Fund 2700 – DWI Forfeiture; Fund 2710 – Enhanced 911; Fund 2720 – State Drug Forfeiture; Fund 2725 – Federal DOJ Drug Forfeiture; Fund 2726 – Fed. Treasury Drug Forfeiture; Fund 2730 – Police Grant Activity; Fund 2150 - Park Grants; Fund 2300 - South Loop Revolving Dev.; Fund 2350 - Creative Placemaking; Fund 2600 – Cemetery; Enterprise Fund: Fund 6700 – Police Contractual Overtime
October 17, 2022: Utility fund budget requests
October 24, 2022: Department budget discussions
- Information Technology Department fund budget: Video of presentation to the City Council and presentation slides
- Public Safety: Video of presentation to the City Council and presentation slides (Police Department and Fire Department general fund budgets)
- Public Works Department fund budgets: Video of presentation to the City Council and presentation slides (Fleet and Facilities and Public Works General Fund)
- Legal Department fund budget: Video of presentation to the City Council and presentation slides
November 14, 2022: 2023 Utility rates public hearing
November 21, 2022: Special meeting to discuss 2023 general fund budget
- Community Development fund budgets video of presentation and slides
- Parks & Recreation Department fund budgets video of presentation and slides
- Community Services Department fund budgets video of presentation and slides
- Finance Department fund budgets video of presentation and slides
- Administration Department fund budgets video of presentation and slides
- 2023 Tax Levy and Budget Discussion video of presentation and slides
December 5, 2022: Truth-in-taxation public hearing
August 23, 2021: Preliminary tax levy and general fund budget discussion
September 13, 2021: Preliminary tax levy and general fund budget discussion (continued) and Approve preliminary 2022 tax levy increase of 2.75%
October 11, 2021: Non-General Funds Discussion and Resolution
- Video of budget presentation to the City Council
- Presentation slides: 2022 Proposed Budgets: Special Revenue Funds and Police Contractual Overtime Fund
- Utility Funds, Internal Service Funds 2022 budget discussion
- Special Revenue Funds, Contractual Police Services 2022 budget resolution
November 15, 2021: 2022 Utility rates public hearing
November 22, 2021: Special meeting to discuss 2022 general fund budget
November 29, 2021: Continued discussion of 2022 general fund budget
December 6, 2021: Truth-in-taxation public hearing
- Video of budget presentation to the City Council
- Presentation slides: 2022 Tax Levy and General Fund Budget Public Hearing
- General Fund, Enterprise Funds, Communications, Fire Pension 2022 budget resolution
Throughout summer and fall 2022, the Budget Manager will be hosting information tables and seeking community feedback on the 2023 budget.
- Budget and BPD on Saturday, May 21, 2022: Police Department Open House
- Budget and Ballet on Tuesday, June 21, 2022: Tuesday Performance Series at Normandale Bandshell – Continental Ballet
- Budget, Beats and Treats on Thursday, July 14, 2022: Thursday Performance Series at Normandale Bandshell – Blockbuster Concert
- Budget and Block Parties on Tuesday, August 2, 2022: National Night Out neighborhood visits
- Budget, Beats and Treats on Friday, August 12, 2022: Friday Night Live: On the One Music Festival Night 3
- Budget at the Market on Saturday, September 17, 2022: Farmers Market (visiting 9 - 11 a.m.)
- Budget and BFD on Saturday, October 15, 2022: Fire Department Open House (visiting Fire Station 1)
2022 Information Session from October 20, 2021
Presentation Slides: October_2022_Budget_Information_Sessions
There were two opportunities in October for the public to participate in 2022 Budget Information Sessions / Roundtable discussions. Thank you to those who attended and participated in the discussions.
2022 Information Session from August 3, 2021
Presentation Slides: August_2021-2022_Budget_Public_Information_Sessions
Thank you to those who stopped by during the Midweek Music and Market at Civic Plaza for an in-person information session on August 11, 2021.
Annual budget books and budget in brief
The Budget in Brief is a 30 page summary of the Annual Budget Book.
The Annual Budget Books for the past five years are linked below. More financial reports are available at blm.mn/financialreports.
About the City of Bloomington budget manager
- Oversees the City's annual budget process which includes 30 individual funds. All budgets must be approved by the City Council by the end of the year.
- Assists departments with analysis of their current year budget requests as well as long-term financial modeling.
- Works closely with the city manager, assistant city manager and department heads to provide options to the City Council for funding programs, initiatives, and projects as well as identifying spending areas that can be reduced along with strategies to fund future capital projects and large equipment purchases.
- Files the preliminary and final property tax levy with Hennepin County
- Compiles and submits annual reports to the Government Finance Officers Association
- Submits annual reports to the Office of the State Auditor