Fire Prevention conducts regular inspections of commercial, industrial and multi-family residential structures for continued compliance with Minnesota fire and building codes. The division also investigates all fires in Bloomington to determine cause and origin, and works with the Police Department to investigate arson.
Fire Prevention Handouts and Permit Applications
Completed and signed permit applications can be e-mailed to inspections@BloomingtonMN.gov.
Fire Safety Measures
- Electrical Safety – Residential
Prevent fires, use electrical devices safely and correct problems.
- Emergency Escape Plan – Residential
Steps to a safe escape.
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
Residential standards reference and where to install.
- Fire Sprinklers – Residential
- MN State Fire Code and Information Sheets
Indoor Heating Information Sheet
- Wood stoves, Fireplaces and Space Heaters
Installing, using and maintaining supplemental room heaters.
Outdoor Heating and Cooking Information Sheets
Fire Alarm, Fire Suppression, Tank/Pipe Installation or Removal
Fire Prevention - Daycare or Foster Care, Open Burning
Daycare or Foster Care permit fee = $55
Open Burning permit fee = $55
Special Events - Temporary Fire Marshal, Tent/Canopy
- Motor Vehicle Exhibition Requirements Information Sheet
- Temporary Fire Marshal Permit Application
- Tent/Canopy Requirements Information Sheet
- Tent/Canopy Permit Application
Temporary Fire Marshal permit fee = $55
Tent/Canopy permit fee = $55
Payment of permit fees is not due at the time of application for most permit applications. City staff will call or e-mail the applicant with the permit fees due.The City of Bloomington accepts credit card payment by Visa, Master Card or Discover card or checks payable to the City of Bloomington.