Contact Information

Contact Information

City Clerk's Offices


Contractor licensing and testing


Contractor licensing – annual renewal

Please complete required documents and email to 

Payment is due at the time of application by cash or check payable to City of Bloomington:

Required documents to include with Contractor License Application:

  • Mechanical Contractor Bond on file at the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DOLI).
  • Minneapolis or St. Paul Certificate of Competency or proof of passing the City of Bloomington's mechanical test. Please verify the expiration date on each master Certificate of Competency. The type of work covered by each master competency is listed below:
    • Gas Installer Class 'A'
      Gas lines to furnaces, boilers, make-up air and rooftop units.
    • HVAC
      Warm air, ventilation, and air conditioning. Warm air competence covers ventilation and air conditioning.
    • Hot Water/Steam
      Commercial or residential boiler work.
    • Oil Burner
      Equipment with a fuel input of 1,000,000 BTU/hr or greater.
    • Refrigeration
      Commercial refrigeration only. 
  • The State of Minnesota requires that your MN Tax ID (not federal tax ID) be kept on file at the City of Bloomington. The MN Tax ID must be provided on your contractor license application prior to issuance of your license. You may register to obtain your free MN Tax ID in less than 10 minutes through the MN Department of Revenue.

Plumbing and gas 'B' license

Companies must have a valid Plumbing Contractor (PC) License on file at the MN Department of Labor & Industry along with a licensed Master Plumber of Record (PM) to perform residential or commercial plumbing work inside the structure. 

To do work involving natural gas (Class 'B' work involving gas water heaters, stoves, dryers, grills, gas fireplaces, inserts), a current Mechanical Contractor Bond must be on file at the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DOLI) and must be submitted along with the Contractor License Application and the $75 license fee.

Trade testing – mechanical contractors

Trade testing allows contractors to prove competency. Contractor trade testing is administered quarterly starting at 8:00 am in the Community Development Department on the first floor at Bloomington City Hall at 1800 W. Old Shakopee Rd. Bloomington, MN 55431. Dates for 2023 will be: March, 17th June 16th, September 15th, and December 15th. 

If you have specific questions about test requirements, please call Building and Inspections at 952-563-8930 to speak with the mechanical inspector who conducts the testing. 

Water & utility license

A water & utility license must be obtained through The City of Bloomington Public Works in order to do outside work such as sewer work or external plumbing work from the street to the structure. Please call the Utilities Division at 952-563-8777 to obtain information about licensing and permitting.

You must be logged in to view this page.

Trade Contractor Testing

Registration details
The City is pausing testing for the Time of Sale (TOS) Evaluator program through 2021.
Select test (only one test allowed)
Please contact us at 952-563-8930 if you need the test provided in another language

Please take notice that any data received by the City as the result of submitting this form will be classified as government data pursuant to the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, Minnesota Statutes Chapter 13. Under the Data Practices Act, some or all of this data is classified as public data, including your name, address, email address, phone number, and other personal information provided by you. Public data is available to anyone requesting it and consists of all data furnished via this Web form. Please be advised that the correspondence will be added to the public record. The purpose and intended use of the information collected through this form is to obtain public input and data in support of City activities and services. You have the right to refuse to submit this form. If you choose not to submit this form, you will need to contact the City by another means if you wish to provide the information collected by the form.

The City of Bloomington does not discriminate against or deny the benefits of its services, programs, or activities to a qualified person because of a disability. To make a request for a reasonable accommodation, ask for more information, or to file a complaint, contact the Community Outreach and Engagement Division, City of Bloomington, 1800 West Old Shakopee Road, Bloomington, MN 55431- 3027; 952-563-8733, MN Relay 711.