Building and Inspections
Building codes enforced by the City of Bloomington
- 2015 Minnesota Building Code Administration Chapter 1300
- 2012 International Building Code with state amendments /Chapter 1305
- Special Fire Protection Systems/MSBC Chapter 1306
- 2015 MN Elevator Code Chapter 1307
- 2012 International Residential Code with state amendments/ Chapter 1309
- 2015 MN Conservation Code For Existing Buildings Chapter 1311
- 2012 Residential International Energy Conservation Code with state amendments/Chapter 1322
- 2012 Commercial International Energy Conservation Code with state amendments/Chapter 1323
- 2015 MN Accessibility Code Chapter 1341 based on ICC/ANSI A117.1 2009
- 2015 MN Mechanical & Fuel Gas Code Chapter 1346 (2012 International Mechanical Code)
- 2016 MN State Plumbing Code/Uniform Plumbing Code
- 2012 International Fire Code with state amendments/Chapter 7510
- 2017 National Electrical Code
- Minimum Plumbing Fixtures /2012 IBC Chapter 29 as amended
- Snow Loads/MSBC Rules 1303.1700 (Hennepin County)
The complete content of the building codes are available on the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (link is external) website.
The MN Department of Labor and Industry (DOLI) issues building, electrical, and plumbing and many other trade contractor licenses. Minnesota law requires that most residential building contractors, re-modelers, roofers and manufactured home installers obtain state licenses. To verify DOLI licensing, visit Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry.
Trade contractors performing mechanical, HVAC, and gas-related work in Bloomington must obtain a contractor license through the Building and Inspections division at the City of Bloomington. Please visit the Trade Testing and Contractor Licensing page for more information.