Public Works Department

Public Works maintains streets and parks, provides engineering services, protects Bloomington's wetlands, delivers clean, safe drinking water and provides wastewater services to the community all year round.

  • Engineering Division: Engineering Services, Street Design and Construction, Stormwater Resources, Traffic and Transportation Management
  • Maintenance Division: Equipment, Facilities, Parks, Street, Traffic
  • Utilities Division: Customer Service, Wastewater Collection, Water Distribution, Water Treatment Plant

Request assistance from Public Works

... or contact us to ask for assistance with issues not listed above.

Our most-used services

Information sheets and handouts

FAQ: Drainage

What is required if I want to dig or fill in my yard?

Prior to work, contact Gopher State One at 651-454-0002. In addition, obtain a grading permit from the City Building and Inspection Division (952-563-8930) if more than 50 cubic yards of material is involved or if the existing drainage pattern is altered.

What is a drainage and utility easement?

Typically the easement is five feet wide between properties and 10 feet wide adjacent to the right-of-way.

FAQ: Street maintenance

What can be done to improve my street?

The City has three options based on the condition of your street:

  1. Sealcoat: Apply a bituminous adhesive to the surface and add aggregate rock. Construction time: One day and four sweepings.
  2. Overlay: Mill (grind) off some of the existing surface and pave over. Construction time: 1-2 months.
  3. Reconstruct: Rebuild the entire street section and curb and gutter and build a new road. Construction time: 2-3 months.

When will my street be improved?

The City maintains a database with the condition of all the city streets in Bloomington. When a street rating falls into a certain range it is due for improvement. Streets currently scheduled for repair and reconstruction.

How will I know when the city plans to improve my street?

You will be invited to an informational meeting if the City will be reconstructing your street. For overlays, you will receive a flyer in the mail. There is no notification for sealcoating.

FAQ: Plat drawings

Is a plat drawing of my property available?

Yes, paper copies of a plat is available from the Engineering Division for a $4 fee for each sheet (22 inches x 34 inches). Visit our plat section to download 11 inch by 17 inch copies of the site.