Bloomington Community Access Television is a public forum dedicated to free speech. Individuals and organizations learn the basics of television production to create television shows that are cablecast to Bloomington cable subscribers. Classes and production equipment are available for all members of the Bloomington Community.
Getting Started with BCAT
- Fill out a membership application.
- Sign up for orientation.
This is a free class to introduce you to the facility the member requirements.
- Get certified.
Take classes or demonstrate your proficiency with the equipment. You must be certified to use BCAT's Equipment.
- Plan your production.
The Production Specialist is available to discuss projects and help generate program ideas. This is a great person to ask for constructive feedback about your show.
- Produce your show.
Use the studio or field equipment to make a show ready for cablecast. Have other members assist with your productions. Video production is a collaborative art and working together is a great way to learn from other producers and hone your own skills.
- BCAT equipment may not be used for personal or commercial purposes. This means no videotaping or editing of weddings, family reunions, parties, commercials or corporate videos. Your video must be broadcast on Channel 16.
- Any content created using BCAT's facility or equipment must result in a program submission to be played on our channel.
- Minors under 18 years old are allowed to become members of BCAT with signed permission from a parent or guardian. The parent or guardian must accompany the minor to check the equipment out, and assume responsibility for any lost or damaged equipment.
How to Watch
You can watch BCAT in the Bloomington area on Comcast Cable channel 16 and CenturyLink channels 8216 (SD) and 8716 (HD).
- 1,200-square-foot television studio.
- Broadcast Pix Production Switcher (3 keys, 2 video clip channels, and Motion Graphics)
- Three HD broadcast cameras.
- Adjustable LED lighting grid.
- Control room with 24-channel audio mixer and digital switcher.
- Voice-over recording booth.
- Three Final Cut Pro/Premiere Pro non-linear edit suites.
- High Definition and Mini DV video cameras, tripods, microphones, monitors and portable lighting kits.