Safe Swap Spot
What is Safe Swap Spot?
Safe Swap Spot is a designated location for residents to conduct transactions in a public location. Transactions may include online purchases, child custody exchanges or transactions where meeting in a public location will help improve personal safety.
Where is the Safe Swap Spot located?
The swap spot is located in the Civic Plaza parking lot at 1800 W. Old Shakopee Rd. near the police department entrance (row of parking spots closest to Logan Ave.) and available for exchanges at all time. The area is identified by Safe Spot signage. In addition, during police department lobby hours, exchanges can be made within the police department lobby (Monday - Friday 8 a.m.-8 p.m.).
Is the Safe Swap Spot monitored 24 hours a day?
- While security monitoring is in place, a staff person is not assigned to viewing the footage or exchanges on a regular basis.
- An officer will NOT monitor each exchange nor facilitate transactions.
- Safe Swap Spot is not a guarantee of safety, but rather used as an additional option when people want to schedule an exchange or transaction in a public place.
Safety Tips About In Person Transactions
While many people who conduct business online are honest and sincere in buying and selling items, there are those who use it to facilitate crimes. These tips are suggested as extra safety measures:
- Tell a friend or family member where you are going and when you will return.
- If possible, have someone accompany you.
- Conduct exchanges during daylight hours.
- Make sure the product works. Remember once you give the seller cash and leave, there aren't any refunds.
- Bring a cell phone and make sure it is turned on.
- Only purchase items from sellers who will meet in person and accept cash. If a seller insists on money transfer, itunes gift cards, or online payment, don't do it.
- If you are purchasing or selling a large ticket item (such as a vehicle), consider meeting at a bank.
- Always trust your instincts and take additional safety precautions as necessary.
- Cancel plans for a transaction if you identify any red flags or have additional concerns for your safety.
- If it's too good to be true, it probably is.