Contact Information

Contact Information

Engineering Division


Does your construction project require a storm water permit?


The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) has forwarded this reminder for the construction industry.

Projects disturbing more than an acre of erodible land surface need a storm water permit before construction commences. Projects less than an acre also need a permit if they are part of a larger common plan of development or sale.

Since 1994, large construction projects have been required to obtain National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) general storm water permit coverage. New federal regulations that took effect March 10, 2003 require owners or operators of small construction projects (one acre or more and smaller sites that are part of a larger plan) to also obtain an NPDES permit.

The MPCA is developing a general storm water permit that includes both large and small construction projects. The public notice period for the new permit ended in February and comments are under review.

Although a new permit has not been issued, construction projects must still obtain NPDES storm water permit coverage and must develop and implement "storm water pollution prevention plans" that include "best management practices" to minimize polluted and sediment filled runoff.

For more information or an application, contact the MPCA Customer Assistance Center at 651-297-2274 or 1-800-646-6247, or visit the MPCA's storm water Web site via our resource page.