What to do with leaves?
How you manage leaves makes a difference. Here are some tips for dealing with leaves.
- Don’t put leaves in your trash. It’s against the law.
- Don’t rake or blow your leaves into the street. Leaves get into storm drains, then flow into water bodies and feed unwanted algae.
- Consider using leaves as mulch. Set a lawnmower to chop a thin layer of leaves to remain on your lawn. Extra chopped leaves can be turned into mulch for your garden, trees and shrubs.
- Put leaves in a backyard compost pile. Turn leaves, yard waste and kitchen scraps into rich organic material that you can use to improve your soil.
Residents can contact Utility Billing to sign up for yard waste service for an additional fee or request on-call service. Visit blm.mn/yardwaste, call 952-563-8726 or email utilitybilling@BloomingtonMN.gov.
While the City and Hennepin County do not operate yard waste drop-off sites, several private businesses do. Call before your visit to check on material accepted, special conditions, hours and fees.
- Mulch Store, 1030 West Cliff Road, Burnsville, 952-890-9375.
- Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community, 1905 Mystic Lake Drive South, Shakopee, 952-233-9191.
- SKB Malcolm Avenue Transfer Station, 630 Malcolm Avenue South, Minneapolis, 612-331-4610.