How to know that you need a new roof
Leaking – If you have a two story house and you find yellow water marks on your second floor ceiling or on your one story house ceiling it means your roof is not doing its job and needs to be fixed!
Shingles cupping or curling – (asphalt shingles) This can only be explained with a picture (see photo at right). Again, water can get under the shingles and cause leaks, material deterioration or mold.
Attic inspection – Inspecting the attic is a great way to learn about your roof. You do not want to see any light peeking through or discoloration on the rafters.
Types of roofing
There are many kinds of roofing that you can choose from. A little information first: a "square" in roofing terminology is a 10-foot by 10-foot section of roof. Roofers determine this by calculation, and always add a certain percentage for cutting and replacement. The type you pick is based on your personal tastes, house style, and climate.
Here are a few common types of roofing that you can look at:
- Advantages: Most common and least expensive.
- Disadvantages: Vulnerable to wind and ice damage.
- Est. price: $55 per square.
- Advantages: Resistant to insects, mold, decay and fire.
- Disadvantages: Expensive and heavy. Should not be walked on.
- Est. price: $150 - $400 per square.
- Advantages: Nearly indestructible – can last up to 100 years.
- Disadvantages: Heavy, expensive, and needs skilled stonemason.
- Est. price: $1,000 per square.
- Advantages: Resistant to rot and decay.
- Disadvantages: Can catch on fire easily.
- Est. price: $70 - 100 per square.
- Advantages: A properly installed metal roof may last a very long time (50+ years), with little maintenance costs and may help to reduce energy bills.
- Disadvantages: Cost.
- Est. price: $750 to $1500 per square (10' x 10" area) installed. Prices will vary based on the simplicity or complexity of the roof.
- Advantages: Becoming popular. Aesthetically pleasing and in the long run cheaper.
- Disadvantages: Needs to be installed by a knowledgeable person. Requires maintenance.
- Est. price: $800 - $2,000 per square.