Holiday lighting safety
Trim the tree with safety in mind. A few precautions can help make the holidays a safer time for you and your family.
Lights and trees
- Only buy an artificial tree with a flame resistant label.
- Buy LED lights. They last longer and remain cool.
- Use Underwriter’s Laboratories (UL) labeled lights.
- Check each set of lights for broken or cracked sockets, loose connections or frayed wires. Discard all damaged cords.
- Don’t connect lights while adjusting them on a tree or house. Inspect lights and plug them together before hanging.
- Keep light bulbs off tree needles and branches. Position bulbs upright with a clip or twist-tie.
- Watch kids and pets around lights and other holiday decorations small enough to swallow.
- Unplug lights when you go to bed or leave home.
Cords and outlets
- Use a three-prong, grounded, UL labeled extension cord for outdoor lighting.
- Uncoil extension cords completely before using. Place them away from bulbs and heat sources.
- Don’t overload extension cords or outlets.
- Keep cords out of water and away from metal objects.
- Never place cords under doors and rugs, or through windows, or other places where they might become damaged.