Pedestrian safety tips
With weather warming up, more pedestrians will be out on local sidewalks and roadways. Please keep these safety tips in mind.
- Always walk on the sidewalk; if there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic.
- Look across all lanes for moving vehicles before proceeding.
- When possible cross in a well-lit area at night.
- Stand clear of buses, hedges, parked cars or other obstacles before crossing.
- Obey pedestrian and traffic-control signals at all intersections that have them.
- Do not enter a crosswalk if a vehicle is approaching and it is impossible for the driver to stop. Use common sense.
- Drivers must stop for crossing pedestrians at marked crosswalks and at all intersections without crosswalks or stop lights.
- Scan the road and sides of the road ahead for pedestrians.
- Before making a turn or backing up, look in all directions for pedestrians.
- Obey speed limits and traffic signals, and avoid distracted or aggressive driving.
- Never pass or drive around a vehicle that is stopped for pedestrians.
- Vehicles stopped for pedestrians can proceed once the pedestrian has completely crossed the lane in front of the stopped vehicle.
For additional pedestrian safety tips, visit blm.mn/walksafe or call 952-563-4900.