Adopt an animal
Bloomington Animal Shelter has plenty of animals looking for good, permanent homes. If you’re looking to add a pet to your family, please consider adopting from the Bloomington Animal Shelter.
Individuals wishing to give a pet as a gift are strongly encouraged to offer a pet “certificate” instead, giving the recipient the opportunity to find the pet that is right for him or her.
From time to time, we post pictures on Facebook to alert the public about adoptable pets at the shelter. Visit our page to see the most recent pictures.
- Adoption hours: Monday - Friday, Noon - 3 p.m., or by appointment. Weekend adoptions are not available at this time.
- Adopters must be at least 18 years old.
- City ordinance requires all new owners to sign a binding adoption contract, agreeing to provide proof to the City, within 30 days of adoption, that the animal has been licensed (if it is living in Bloomington) and spayed/neutered (if not already spayed/neutered).
- First come, first served. Animals are available strictly on a first-come, first-served basis. Unofficial expressions of interest will not keep an animal "safe" from being adopted by others.
- Adoption fee: $30 plus sales tax.
If an animal shows aggression towards people or other pets, or if it is known to have attacked and/or bitten people or other pets in unprovoked circumstances, it will not be made available for adoption. Animals which are seriously ill or injured, and need to be euthanized (“put to sleep”) for humane reasons, or will require extensive veterinary care will not be made available for adoption.
About once a week, available adoptable animals that have not been adopted from the shelter are sent to one of several animal rescue groups that place them in new homes.
Pets are euthanized by local veterinarians following all guidelines for humane euthanasia.