Lyndale Avenue Retrofit - About the Project and FAQ
The City hired Stantec Consulting Services, Inc. to work with us to define a clear vision and specific steps the City can take to enhance the function, vitality, and appearance of Lyndale Avenue and attract reinvestment to this aging corridor. The goal is to transform Lyndale Avenue into a thriving, walkable, mixed-use corridor that serves as an amenity to attract new, and retain existing, residents and businesses.
Why are we focusing on Lyndale Avenue?
Lyndale Avenue is one of Bloomington’s original commercial corridors, developed mostly between 1950 and 1970. It serves the entire City; but also functions as a neighborhood “main street” and front door to a variety of residents, businesses, and employers. While the corridor continues to attract activity, it is showing its age and not realizing its full potential. Revitalization is needed to better position Lyndale Avenue to respond to changing needs and ensure future economic sustainability.
Who’s the Project Consultant?
Stantec Consulting Services, Inc. is a nationally renowned design firm with expertise in planning, engineering, architecture, transportation and mobility. Stantec has offices across the country, including Minneapolis, where the project co-manager and several key project staff are officed. The Stantec team also includes three sub-consultants who bring expertise in development market analysis, marketing and branding, and dynamic public engagement.
What will the Consultant do?
The Stantec team has been charged with defining a clear strategy and action steps to rejuvenate, attract, and prioritize reinvestment in the Lyndale Corridor. Key tasks include:
- Engage area residents, businesses, and other stakeholders in defining a shared vision for the corridor.
- Assess the local economic context, market dynamics and trends that will influence reinvestment and contribute to the economic sustainability of Lyndale Avenue.
- Identify public improvements needed to better serve current and future residents, businesses, and visitors. This includes making the corridor more attractive; improving walkability, safety, and mobility; and enhancing connections to public amenities.
- Prepare conceptual plans for select properties to illustrate viable redevelopment potential and identify public investment priorities.
- Develop tools and strategies to market the corridor and attract reinvestment.
How long will the project take?
Stantec will work with the city in an accelerated timeframe of 12 months. The project kicked off in October 2019 and is expected to be complete in 2020.
How can I get involved?
Opportunities will be provided throughout the planning process for area residents, businesses, and the general public to provide input and feedback. One of the best ways to stay up-to-date on project-related activities is to sign up for the project e-subscribe list located in the sidebar. Those on the e-subscribe list will receive routine notifications of project activity and public events as well as alerts to new information posted on the project webpage.
Other important ways to stay informed about this project include:
- Project Webpage – This will be a primary information portal where information will be posted regarding project status, decision-making, and opportunities for public involvement. The project webpage will be used as the repository for draft and final documents produced during the planning process. Summaries from public meetings will also be made available on the webpage. At times, public input and feedback will be solicited via surveys, online mapping, and other online tools. Check this webpage often to track the project status.
- Planning Commission & City Council Meetings – Stantec and/or City staff will provide periodic status updates to the Planning Commission and City Council throughout the project. More formal presentations will be provided near the end of the project, once the final plan and recommendations have been drafted.