The Women, Infant and Children (WIC) Nutrition Program provides nutrition education, breastfeeding counseling and support and food vouchers for low-income pregnant and breastfeeding women, infants and children through age five.
WIC services are provided at the Public Health Center or Richfield Central School (7545 Harriet Ave., S., Richfield) Monday - Friday by appointment only.
WIC is a nutrition program that helps families eat well and stay healthy
"Sometimes, being a new parent on a small budget is so overwhelming and I think WIC does a wonderful job of making sure all parents are provided with the resources they need to succeed." - Former WIC Participant
WIC has helped many families succeed, including college students, young families trying to get ahead, working families and military families. WIC could help your family too.
How will WIC help my family succeed?
WIC helps you feed your family in a healthy way:
- WIC professionals talk to you about your health needs and discuss how to use food, nutrition and breastfeeding to help you.
- You receive vouchers to buy healthy foods.
WIC will help you breastfeed successfully:
- Our peer breastfeeding support staff and lactation consultant are here to help with breastfeeding concerns.
- Breastfeeding is the healthiest way to feed your baby.
- Breastfeeding is good for moms' health and makes losing weight easier.
- Moms and babies love (and benefit from) the special closeness.
WIC professionals will tell you about other health and social services that may help you:
- Well-child check-ups
- Other services that are key to childhood and family well-being
How can I tell if I am eligible to apply for WIC?
WIC participants can be children less than 5 years old, infants and women who are:
- Breastfeeding an infant under age 1
- Less than 6 months post partum
You are eligible to apply for WIC if you can answer "yes" to all four questions:
Are you in one of the following categories?
- Pregnant woman
- Breastfeeding woman who had a baby within the past year
- Woman who had a baby within the past six months
- Woman who has been pregnant within the past six months
- Mother or father with infant or child under age 5
- Foster parent(s) or guardian(s) with an infant or child under age 5
Can you provide proof that you live in Bloomington, Richfield or Edina, Minnesota, such as a drivers license or a bill addressed to you? (You do NOT need to be a U.S. citizen.)
Are you willing to allow a WIC professional to ask you about your or your child's health or medical needs?
Are you willing to provide information about your family income to a WIC professional so she can make sure your income does not exceed the maximum allowed? (Find more information about WIC income guidelines here.)
Are you or a family member getting help from any of these programs?
- Medical Assistance
- Medical Assistance - TEFRA
- SNAP (Food Stamps)
- MN Family Investment Program (MFIP)
- Fuel Assistance
- Reduced or Free School Lunch
- Head Start
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
What foods can I get from WIC?
WIC foods are for the WIC participant(s) (not the whole family):
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Whole grains
- Whole grain bread
- Whole grain tortillas
- Whole wheat pasta
- Brown rice
- WIC cereals provide iron for healthy blood.
- Many WIC cereals are whole grain and high in fiber as well as other vitamins and minerals.
- Peanut butter or beans (dry or canned).
- Fruit or vegetable juice rich in Vitamin C
- Soy: WIC can substitute soy beverages or tofu for some of the milk, depending on the situation.
- Infant foods (for babies)
- Babies receive baby food fruits, vegetables and meats (for breastfed infants).
- Formula is available for infants; however, breastfeeding is recommended.
How do I apply for WIC if I live in Bloomington, Richfield or Edina?
- Call the clinic at 952-563-8993 or email WIC@BloomingtonMN.gov to make an appointment. Staff will help schedule your appointment and answer any questions you might have.
- Staff will walk through the application process with you at your appointment. You will receive a food voucher that day.