Play it safe this summer
With warmer temperatures and longer days, July is prime time for kids to make the most of summer and play outside. The Bloomington Police Department suggests the following tips to help ensure that playtime is a safe time.
- Make sure your child is hydrated.
- Reapply sunscreen often; sunscreen should be a minimum of SPF 15.
- Never leave children or pets in a closed vehicle—even for a few minutes.
- Limit the time children play in the sun.
- Teach children to avoid passing by vacant lots, alleys or deserted construction sites. At night, stick to well-lit areas only.
- Walk through the neighborhood with children and show them safe places to play, safe roads and paths to take and safe places to go if there’s trouble.
- Teach children to trust their instincts. Explain that if they ever feel scared or uncomfortable they should get away from the situation and tell an adult.