Holiday recycling tips
Did you know from Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day, holiday waste increases by more than 25%? Ensure you’re putting your holiday discards in the right place. Here’s what you can and cannot put in your recycling cart.
- Gift boxes: Break down to recycle or save intact to use again next year.
- Cartons: From eggnog, wine, broth and milk.
- Cards, junk mail and newspapers.
- Tins: Decorative, cookie and pie, or save for reuse.
- Aluminum foil and trays (mostly clean): Ball up the foil to be three inches in diameter or larger.
- Wrapping paper: New this year, wrapping paper is no longer accepted, with or without glitter or reflective or reflective decorations. Consider reusable alternatives such as cloth or gift bags.
- Plastic bags
- Holiday lights: Bring to the Hennepin County Drop-Off Facility, 1400 West 96th Street, for recycling.
Want to recycle your food waste? Take your food, prep scraps, leftovers and paper towels to an organics drop-off location listed at blm.mn/organics.
For more information about how to properly dispose of items, visit blm.mn/recycling or call 952-563-8760.