Police FAQ

Where is the Bloomington Police Department located?

We are located approximately one-quarter mile west of I-35W on W. 98th St. and Logan Avenue. Our address is 1800 W. Old Shakopee Rd., Bloomington MN 55431. View map.

What are the responsibilities of the Bloomington Police Department's Divisions?

  • Support Services: Coordinates and directs department activities.
  • Patrol Operations: Plans and manages Bloomington's emergency procedures.
  • Investigations: Services for apprehension and prosecution of criminals.
  • Patrol Operations: The uniformed, most visible division of the department.
  • Professional Standards: Trains, reviews complaints and policies, hires.

What are the hours of the Bloomington Police Department?

We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for those needing police assistance. Our administration hours for picking up copies of reports, gun permit applications or other administrative requests are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.; we are closed on weekends and holidays.

Does the Police Department offer squad car ride-alongs?

All ride-alongs must be initiated by a police officer and approved by a Patrol Division supervisor or command officer. All riders must be at least 16 years of age. The Chief of Police may authorize a special exemption for younger participants.

I was in a motor vehicle crash. Do I need to contact the police?

You need to contact the police department if an injury is involved or if there is public property damaged in the crash. Police do not need to be contacted for minor property damage crashes. However, if you feel that an officer's presence is desirable, please call 911 and explain the situation to the dispatcher.

It is required that you file a report with the State of Minnesota if the total damage between both vehicles exceeds $1,000, or if someone is injured. These report forms are available at any police department and from the Department of Public Safety Web site .

How can I obtain a copy of my Accident/Police Report?

If you are listed on the accident report (owner/driver), a copy of the accident report will be mailed to you. To obtain a copy of a police report, you will need to fill out this form:

You may either email the request form (ldraper@BloomingtonMN.gov), fax the request form (952-563-4936) or drop the request form off at the Bloomington Police Department. Once the request form is received, it will take 7 to 10 days to process. The report must be releasable under Minnesota Data Practices Laws. There is a charge of 25 cents per page; if the report is more than three pages (e.g. a four-page report would cost $1.)

Where can I get a Minnesota State Accident Reporting form?

If you were in a crash (accident) where someone was injured or there was more than $1,000 worth of damage to the vehicles, you will need to fill out the form. You can pick up the form at any police department or download the form from the Department of Public Safety Website. The completed form gets mailed to the Department of Public Safety (address on the back of form).

How can I get a background check done on myself?

Bloomington Police can do a local record check (Bloomington Police records only) and provide you with a written document containing the results of the search. Cost is $10 and the document is certified.

If you need a FULL criminal background check, you will need to contact the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA): 1430 Maryland Ave E, St. Paul  MN  55106; PH: 651-793-2400; BCA Web site.

How can I obtain my Minnesota driving record?

The State of Minnesota can provide a copy of your driving record. Contact the main Division of Vehicle Services in St. Paul at 651-296-6911 for more information.

The Bloomington Motor Vehicle Office is unable to provide driving records.

I would like to report a non-violent crime with no suspects or witnesses.

You can contact us at our non-emergency number at 952-563-4900 or you can call the Crime Line at 952-563-4674 and leave your information on the voicemail. Someone will call you back within 24 hours and take a report from you over the phone. Please note that the Crime Line should be used for NON-EMERGENCY reports. For example, damage to a mailbox, theft of bike, etc.

Note: We are unable to take hit and run, identity theft, financial transaction fraud or check forgery reports over the phone. You may come into the police department for these types of reports or call our non-emergency number to have an officer dispatched to your location.

I have been a victim of identity theft. What do I do?

Contact the following credit bureaus:

If you are a resident of Bloomington and are a victim of Identity Theft, call the non-emergency number at 952-563-4900 to have an officer dispatched to take a police report or stop into the police department to file the report. You should bring in any paperwork or evidence you have regarding the identity theft.

For further information regarding identity theft, visit the following links:

How do I obtain a restraining order or an order for protection?

The police department does not provide restraining orders. You must go to the Hennepin County courthouse for this. Once the restraining order has been issued, the order must be served before it is considered to be in effect. At that point, if the order is violated, the police can act upon it.

If you need an order for protection or restraining order regarding a domestic issue, you may contact Cornerstone at 952-884-0376 for further information or the Hennepin County Domestic Abuse Hotline at 612-348-5073.

I lost my cell phone and my cell phone carrier says I need a police report in order to get reimbursed for my phone.

The Bloomington Police cannot write a police report on lost property, due to the fact that it is not a crime. However, we are able to provide an "incident number," which shows that you contacted us and we documented that you lost your phone. You can get this information by leaving a message on our Crime Line at 952-563-4674.

How do I obtain a permit to acquire a firearm?

You can download the application from the Department of Public Safety website, fill it out and turn it into the Police Department. (You must bring ID to show that you are the applicant.) You can also fill out an application at the police department.

  • You must reside in the city of Bloomington.
  • Allow seven to 10 business days to process the application. If you are approved, the gun permit will be mailed to you. If you are not approved, the detective who processed your application will contact you to explain the reason for denial.
  • A permit to acquire is valid for one year. Each year you must come in and renew your permit if you want to purchase additional firearms. You do not need to renew your permit to continue to own current firearms.

How do I obtain a permit to carry a firearm?

Permits to carry a firearm are processed at the county level. If you live in Hennepin County, visit the Hennepin County Sherriff's website or call 612-348-3755.

I have lost my citation; how can I pay my fine?

We do not accept payments for citations. You must contact the Hennepin County Division IV Courthouse at 612-543-0401. They can assist you with looking up your citation information. You have the option of paying the fine over the phone with a credit card.

I lost something and want to know if it was turned into the police department or I want to see if I can retrieve my confiscated property. Who do I contact?

Any property turned in gets inventoried into our property and evidence room. You can call 952-563-8843 to see if we have your property. Confiscated property is also located in our property/evidence room. To retrieve your property, you must make an appointment with the property clerk before coming to the police department.

Does the Police Department hold auctions for unclaimed property?

The Bloomington Police Department auctions surplus, found, stolen, abandoned/unclaimed and seized items through an online auction company called www.PropertyRoom.com PropertyRoom.com holds auctions on an ongoing basis and potential buyers can access the site 24 hours a day, seven day a week. Auction items may include bicycles, electronics, jewelry, sporting or musical equipment, clothing, tools and collector items. To view items currently at auction from the Bloomington Police Department, click here. The City of Bloomington makes no guarantee or warranty, expressed or implied, as to the condition of the items offered.

If the Bloomington Police towed my car, where would it be?

The Bloomington Police Department uses Chief's Towing for all of its tows. Their contact information: 8610 Harriet Ave. S., Bloomington. PH: 952-888-2201.

I locked my keys in my car. Will the police respond to open my vehicle for me?

The Bloomington Police Department will respond to vehicle lock-outs only if it is an emergency (if a child or animal is locked in the vehicle).

What are Bloomington's curfew hours for juveniles?

Under 12 years of age:
Sunday - Thursday: 9 p.m.
Friday - Saturday: 10 p.m.

12-14 years of age:
Sunday - Thursday: 10 p.m.
Friday - Saturday: 11 p.m.

15-17 years of age:
Sunday - Thursday: 11 p.m.
Friday - Saturday: Midnight

Does the Bloomington Police Department provide fingerprinting services?

We do not provide fingerprinting services to the public. Please refer to the phone book under "Security" or "Fingerprinting" for private companies that provide this service.

I would like my child seat to be inspected to make sure it was installed properly. Does the Bloomington Police Department have someone certified to do this?

The Police Department (952-563-4900 or police@BloomingtonMN.gov) and the Public Health Division (952-563-8900 V/TTY) have staff who are trained to check car seats. If interested, contact these departments to make an appointment.

In addition, you can go to seatcheck.org for locations of certified individuals or the Department of Public Safety website.