Putting a stop to home burglaries
Home sweet home is no place to experience a burglary. Bloomington Police shares tips on safeguarding your property to prevent crime.
If you’re going away, use random timers to switch lights on and off, and cancel newspapers and hold mail deliveries. Ask a trustworthy neighbor to keep an eye on your property and call 911 about anything suspicious.
- Secure your valuables and keep them out of sight.
- Be careful about the visitors you allow into your home and what information you share about your possessions and schedule.
- Vary your departure and return times.
- Having a barking dog is a deterrent.
- Don’t hide a key. Criminals know just where to look for secret keys.
- Take a walk around your home to identify weak security spots.
- Consider adding motion-activated lights, surveillance cameras or an alarm system.
For information, contact Crime Prevention Coordinator Katie Chase at 952-563-8808 or kchase@BloomingtonMN.gov.