About Bush Lake Beach
A key component of the Hyland-Bush-Anderson Lakes Park Reserve, Bush Lake Beach has provided exceptional recreation to millions of Minnesotans since 1956. Bush Lake is one of the state’s most popular beaches with over 100,000 visitors per year.
Bush Lake Beach rules
- Swimmers under 11 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- All children 6 years and younger must be within arms reach of an adult at all times.
- All flotation equipment must be U.S. Coast Guard Type I-III approved, with an adult 18 years of age or older within arms reach at all times.
- Swim diapers required for those not independently toilet trained.
- All swimmers must wear appropriate swim attire.
- Throwing rocks or sand is prohibited.
- Fishing and dogs are not permitted in beach area.
- Tobacco, alcohol, and e-cigarettes are prohibited.
- Glass containers are not allowed.
Healthy swimming guidelines
People should exercise caution while at the beach to stay safe and help stop the spread of COVID-19.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Practice social distancing by maintaining 6 feet from individuals outside of your immediate family.
- Wear a face covering when you cannot maintain a proper distance.
- Avoid crowds. If the beach becomes crowded, reconsider using the facility.
- Bring your own hand sanitizer to use; restrooms will not be open to properly wash hands.
Swimmers' health and safety are the number one priority at Bush Lake Beach. Please take a moment to read the following fact sheets to ensure a safe and healthy visit at Bush Lake Beach!
Parking is Free in 2021
In 2021, parking passes are not required at Bush Lake Beach.
Help keep the beach a healthy place to swim
We can all do our part to continue to make Bush Lake Beach a healthy place to swim:
- Take a shower, both before and after swimming.
- Avoid drinking or “spouting” beach water.
- Wash your hands often.
For the safety of our swimmers, certified microbiologists test Bush Lake Beach water twice per week. The beach may close if the bacteria count becomes too high.
A boat launch is available for motorized watercrafts at West Bush Lake Park using the Shelter #2 entrance. Per City Code, Sec. 5.25: "No motor exceeding six horsepower shall be operated on the public waters of the City." Watercrafts may possess larger motors, but they cannot be in operation.
Nine private properties are located on the shores of Bush Lake and its northeast bay. As such, it is not possible to walk all the way around these bodies of water without trespassing on private property. When enjoying Bush Lake Park, take note of where private properties are located, and please do not enter or cross these properties.