Adult sports and leagues
Parks and Recreation offers leagues and programs through out the year. The sports are offered at different levels of play - there is a sport for everyone from beginner to the serious player. General information including registration is listed below. Click each sport for specific information.
Summer softball playoff brackets:
- 2015 Monday Playoff Bracket
- 2015 Tuesday Playoff Bracket
- 2015 Wednesday Playoff Brackets
- 2015 Thursday Playoff Brackets
- 2015 Friday Playoff Brackets
Baggo has been a back yard and tailgating favorite. Now you have the chance to test your skills in this fun, recreational league! Teams of two will be playing eight exciting weeks of league play, followed by a single elimination playoff. The league is open to male and female players. Baggo boards and bags will be provided. Offered by the collaboration of the cities of Bloomington, Edina, Richfield and St. Louis Park.
- Dates: Tuesdays, June 2 - August 4, 2015 (no games June 30)
- Fee: $50 per team
- Registration Deadline: May 22, 2015
- Location: Taft Park Hwy 62 and Cedar Ave Richfield MN 55423
Teams play a ten week regular season schedule and a single elimination playoff. All games will be officiated by two officials. Games are played five versus five. All participants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Days: Sundays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Dates: December 3, 2014 - Mid- March 2015
- Times: 6, 7, 8, or 9 p.m.
- Resident Fee: $555 + tax = $595.38 per team
- Non-Resident Fee: $610 + tax = $654.38
- Returning Team Registration Period: October 6, 2014 - October 24
- New Team Registration Opens: Friday, October 24, 2014
- Registration Deadline: November 14, 2014
- Location: Kennedy Activity Center 150 98th Street Bloomington MN 55420
3 vs 3 Basketball
Teams play a six week season schedule. Games will be played half court and teams will call their own fouls. There will be an official scorekeeper and site supervisor at all games.
- Days: Wednesdays
- Dates: April 1 - May 6
- Times: 8:45 or 9:30 p.m.
- Resident Fee: $120/team
- Registration Deadline: March 18, 2015
- Location: Richfield Middle School - 7461 Oliver Avenue South Richfield Mn 55423
Relive your childhood with a gym class favorite, Dodgeball! League is supervised but teams call themselves out when hit. Teams can be composed of men, women or a combination of both. Offered by the collaboration of the cities of Bloomington, Edina, Richfield and St. Louis Park.
- Dates: Thursdays, January 15 - Mid March, 2015
- Times: 6 - 10 p.m.
- Fee: $120 per team
- Registration Deadline: January 2, 2015
- Location: Richfield STEM Elementary School 7020 12th Ave S Richfield MN 55423
Games are played on fields that are 90 yards from end line to end line and 40 yards wide. Field markings include 15 and 35 yard lines that also serve as first down markers. Bloomington has the luxury of having the MSF's Touch Football Rules Interpreter work as the lead official for the leagues. Games are played seven versus seven. All participants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Days: Wednesdays
- Dates: August 26 - Mid-October
- Times: 6, 6:55, 7:50, 8:45 or 9:40 p.m.
- Resident Fee: $535 + tax = $573.92 per team
- Non-Resident Fee: $560 + tax = $600.74
- Returning Team Registration Period: June 29 - July 20, 2015
- New Team Registration Opens: July 22,2015
- Registration Deadline: July 31, 2015
- Location: Dred Scott Playfields 10820 Bloomington Ferry Road Bloomington MN 55438
Inner Tube Water Polo
Introducing the greatest game you have never played, Inner Tube Water Polo. Teams will play a fun variation of water polo while players float on an inner tube. Teams compete 6 vs 6 and play is open to both male and female players. League must have a minimum of 4 teams prior to May 27 or the league will be cancelled. Offered by the collaboration of the cities of Bloomington, Edina, Richfield and St. Louis Park.
- Dates: Tuesdays, June 17 - July 29, 2014
- Times: 8:45 or 9:30 p.m.
- Fee: $280 per team
- Registration Opens:
- Registration Deadline: June 6, 2014
- Location: Edina Aquatic Center 4300 W. 66th Street Edina MN 55435
Grab your friends and join us for a blast from your gym class past with the all new kickball league! Co-Rec teams will play six games with officials and bases. League fees includes: kickball (1 per team), scheduling of a field, game official and league championship prizes. Offered by the collaboration of the cities of Bloomington, Edina, Richfield and St. Louis Park.
- Dates: Thursday, August 27 - October 1
- Times: 6:15 - 10:20 p.m.
- Fee: $175 per team
- Returning Team Registration Period: June 29 - July 20
- New Team Registration Opens: July 22
- Registration Deadline: July 31, 2015
- Location: Valley View Playfield 501 East 90th Street Bloomington MN 55420
Interested in Lacrosse? Join us and play! No matter if you have playing experience or have never played, this 7 v 7 recreational league is great opportunity for players of all ability levels to come enjoy the game of Lacrosse! Play is open to both male and female players (games played according to modified men's rules). Individual registrations will be taken and teams will be created. Games will be played on a modified field with two, 20 minute (running time) halves. Playing fields will vary throughout Richfield, Bloomington, Edina, and St. Louis Park.
- Dates: Wednesdays in June and July
- Fee: $55 per player/$25 for goaltenders
- Registration Deadline: May 22, 2015
- Location: Varied throughout Bloomington, Edina, Richfield and St. Louis Park
Pickleball: An up-and-coming sport in Bloomington
What is pickleball?
Pickleball is a racquet sport; much like a combination of badminton, table tennis, tennis, racquetball and similar sports.
Pickleball is played on a court about one-third the size of a tennis court. The ball we use is a whiffle ball. The racquets we use are similar to table tennis paddles, but a little larger and built to handle the larger ball; but smaller than a racquetball racquet. The net across the court is like that on a tennis court, but just a little lower in height. And the markings on the court are much like those of a tennis court, badminton court, or table-tennis table.
We play games to eleven points, you must win by two points. Doubles play is the norm, but singles is growing in popularity.
Scheduled playtimes and locations
|Days||Dates*||Times||Type of Play|
|Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays||October 13, 2014 to April 3, 2015||10:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.||Open play, all abilities welcome|
|***Tuesday and Thursdays||October 14, 2014 to April 2, 2015||10:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.||Beginner play|
|Armory pickleball fee options||Fees|
|1 time session||$3.00|
|Unlimited monthly pass||$35.00|
|Unlimited 3 month pass||$75.00|
*Armory closed on national holidays
**The City of Bloomington leases space at the Bloomington Armory, please be respectful of the National Guard, its staff, equipment and building. For any questions, please call Parks and Recreation at 952-563-8877 or email us at parksrec@BloomingtonMN.gov.
***Tuesday and Thursdays are unstructured and "open gym" play intended for beginner with equal rotation for all participants. If play is not is use by beginner players space may be used by the general public. For specific information regarding players who attend play regularly please contact email@example.com.
- Bloomington Armory
- Highland Hills
Summer Months – open play (unscheduled)
- Bloomington Westwood Athletic Fields
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday at 9 a.m.
Pickleball in more detail...
When playing pickleball, the serve must be hit underhand and each team must play their first shot off the bounce. After the ball has bounced once on each side, both teams can either volley the ball in the air or play it off the bounce. This eliminates the serve and volley advantage and prolongs the rallies. To volley a ball means to hit it in the air without first letting it bounce.
No volleying is permitted within the seven-foot, non-volley zone (called the kitchen). Players cannot executing a smash from a position within this seven-foot zone on both sides of the net. This promotes the drop volley or "dink" shot playing strategies, which makes Pickleball a game of shot placement and patience, not brute power or strength.
Both players on the serving team are allowed to serve, and the team scores points only when serving. A game is played to eleven points and a team must win by two points. Points are lost by hitting the ball out of bounds, hitting the net, stepping into the non-volley zone when volleying the ball, or by volleying the ball before the ball has bounced once on each side of the net.
Players must keep one foot behind the back line when serving. The serve is made underhand. The paddle must pass below the waist. The serve is made diagonally cross-court and must clear the non-volley zone. Only one serve attempt is allowed, except in the event of a let (the ball touches the net on the serve and lands in the proper service court) then the serve may be taken over. At the start of each new game, the first serving team is allowed only one fault before giving up the ball to the opponents. Thereafter both members of each team will serve and fault before the ball is turned over to the opposing team. When a point is scored the server and partner change sides (right court to left court, etc.)
- Hitting the ball out of bounds.
- Not clearing the net.
- Stepping into the non-volley zone and volleying the ball.
- The double bounce rule: On the serve and first return shot, the ball must bounce once before returning.
The court dimensions are 44' by 20' for both doubles and singles. The net is hung 36" on each end and 34" in the middle. A non-volley extends 7' on each side of the net. There remains 15' on each side of the court. On each side, these 20' by15' rectangles are further divided into two equal rectangles measuring 10' by 15'. When laying out the court, allow adequate space in each end and sides of the boundaries.
2015 Fall Softball timeline
|June 25||All returning teams receive email with 2015 Fall Softball, Kickball and Touch Football Info with registration form|
|June 29 - July 20||Returning team registration period.|
|July 21||Transfer processing period, no registrations will be accepted during this time.|
|July 22||New team registration opens, at this time registration is open to all teams|
|August 3||Deadline to withdraw from league and receive refund, less the $50 service fee|
|August 17||Managers' meetings will be held at 6 p.m. in the Council Chambers at Bloomington Civic Plaza|
|August 24||2015 Fall softball season begins.|
Bloomington Parks and Recreation will provide each team with a supply of game balls as part of the league registration fee. Teams will receive their softballs at the start of the season. Each team will be responsible to ensure games balls are provided for each game.
2015 fall team registration fees
- Resident league fees:
- Double header leagues: $525 + tax = $563.20
- Non-resident league fees:
- Double header leagues: $550 + tax = $590.01
2015 legal softballs for Bloomington leagues
Parks and Recreation will provide each team game balls at the start of the season. It is each team’s responsibility to ensure balls provide for every game. Balls do not need to be new, but clearly defined as a legal ball. Legal balls must be optic yellow in color and follow the guidelines listed below for each gender.
- When a male is batting - 12 inch red stitched ball with a COR of .52 and a maximum compression of 300 pounds
- When a female is batting - 11 inch red stitched ball with a COR of .44 and a maximum compression of 375 pounds
Please also be sure you have a legal ASA bat to use, non-approved bats are listed here: ASA Non-Approved Bats
2015 Bloomington softball league designations
To help teams find the appropriate Bloomington softball league for the upcoming season, the Parks and Recreation Division classifies our softball leagues with Open, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Church/Spiritual league designations. To help teams understand each league designation, definitions for each league type are listed below: All Bloomington softball teams will also be sanctioned with both ASA and USSSA at A, B, C, D & E levels. All of Bloomington’s adult softball leagues are dual sanctioned with both ASA and USSSA. Our umpires, equipment and rules follow the ASA guidelines.
- Open leagues: The "Open" designation refers to a league which is open to teams of all classification levels seeking the most competitive league experience and who regularly participate in tournaments throughout the season. The Open Leagues are Bloomington's most competitive leagues.
- Gold leagues: Competitive leagues intended for teams seeking a highly competitive league experience and who participate in multiple tournaments throughout the season.
- Silver leagues: Recreational leagues intended for teams who do not participate in tournaments throughout the season but desire a moderately competitive league experience.
- Bronze leagues: A recreational softball experience with a low level of competition.
- Church/Spiritual leagues: A casual softball experience for teams which consist primarily of participants who are members of a church or spiritual organization.
2015 registration information
Registration for the 2015 Spring/Summer Softball Season will be open July 22; June 29 for returning teams who played in a 2014 Bloomington Fall softball league. Further registration details will be emailed to returning teams on June 25. New softball teams are welcome to register beginning July 22. Any registration received prior to the opening of the appropriate registration period will not be accepted and will be immediately returned to the team's contact.
Due to the large number of teams participating in Bloomington Softball Leagues, the Parks and Recreation Division has a Transfer Processing Period from July 20 - July 21. During this period, Returning Teams who have requested a transfer to a new league will have their requests reviewed and processed based on availability and in the order they were received. Upon review, teams will be notified of their transfer status at least 48 hours prior to New Team Registration opening on July 22. No registrations will be accepted during the transfer processing period.
All teams registered for a Bloomington softball league are subject to transfer at the discretion of the League Director. A mandated transfer by the League Director may occur due to (but is not limited to) level of competition, previous league results, balancing number of teams per league, or team classification. Teams who are subject to a mandated transfer and wish to withdraw their league registration as a result of the transfer must make their request to the League Director within 48 hours of being notified of their transfer to receive a refund. After 48 hours has expired, all refunds will be subject to the Cancellation/Withdrawal Policy listed below.
Registration is available online, in person, by mail, via email, or by fax. Processing registrations submitted via email or fax may take up to two business days. Registrations will not be accepted if they are not accompanied by full payment. Any registration received without payment or prior to the opening of the appropriate registration period will be immediately returned to the team contact and not accepted until payment is received or the appropriate registration period has opened. If you have questions please call 952-563-8877.
Returning teams who participated in a league the previous year may register online during the returning team registration period, June 29 - July 20. Returning teams must use their 2014 team's username and password for online registration to activate their team's priority registration for the league and night they participated in the previous year. If you do not have this information please contact the Parks and Recreation Office at 952-563-8877.
Any team that did not participate in a 2014 Bloomington Fall softball league the previous year (not previous season – i.e. summer/spring teams do not receive priority registration for summer leagues etc.) shall be considered a new team. To register online, new teams should create a login and password (any time prior to registration) and submit their registration on or after July 22, based on the availability of the league.
When registering online, the registration software will designate your team’s Resident/Non-Resident status based on the address of the team manager. If your team’s Resident/Non-Resident status needs to be changed, prior to registration please contact the Parks and Recreation Office prior to registration at 952-563-8877 or by email at parksrec@BloomingtonMN.gov. If necessary, a refund for the appropriate amount between the Resident and Non-Resident fee can be issued after the registration has been processed by contacting the Parks and Recreation Office.
Returning team transfers
Returning teams who wish to play on a different night or in a different league must first register and submit payment for the league and night they participated in the previous year prior to the returning team registration deadline, on July 20.. Upon completion of registration, the team must request a transfer in writing by submitting a Registration form which includes their Team Name, Team Manager and Phone Number, previous night and league played, and their desired night and league to the Parks and Recreation Office. This form cannot be submitted through the online registration process, it must be submitted to the Parks and Recreation Office in person, via mail, email or fax and must be received by July 20. If submitting your transfer requests via email or fax, please call 952-563-8877 to verify receipt.
Transfers will be processed during the July 20 - 21 transfer processing period based on availability and in the order registrations are received. Upon review, teams will be notified of their transfer status at least 48 hours prior to new team registration opening on July 22. If a team is transferring to a league with a higher registration fee, the balance must be paid to the Parks and Recreation Office within 48 hours of notification in order to complete the transfer process.
Teams not awarded their transfer request and wish to withdraw their league registration and receive a full refund must make the request to the League Director within 48 hours of being notified their transfer was unable to be processed. All refunds will be issued to the person/business who submitted the payment by check or credit card, based on their original form of payment. Check issued refunds may take up to two weeks to be processed.
After 48 hours has expired, all refunds will be subject to the cancellation/withdrawal policy listed below.
Leagues are a long-standing tradition in the city of Bloomington. Singles and Doubles leagues at a variety of ability levels are offered to both men and women. Leagues run June through August and take place at Dred Scott and Jefferson High School.
Men's and mixed doubles tennis leagues
This year, Bloomington Parks and Recreation is offering two Men's Doubles leagues and a Mixed Doubles league. Play begins June 1 and continues through August.
Download the following PDFs for information about the leagues, fees, match schedule, registration, court locations, and a preseason meeting that's mandatory for all participants.
Women's tennis leagues
The Bloomington Women's Tennis Club offers a Singles Ladder, where players of a variety of ability levels challenge each other and have the flexibility to schedule their own matches. There are also Doubles Leagues for beginner, intermediate and advanced level players. Doubles play is on Wednesdays and Thursday June 3 - August 27.
Download the following PDFs for more information and registration forms.
- Women's Tennis League information flyer (290KB PDF)
- Spring Women's Tennis Mixer – Saturday, May 16, 2015
- Women's Singles registration form
- Women's Doubles registration form - (31KB PDF)
- Women's Doubles Substitute Player form - (29 KB PDF)
Volleyball is offered on sand during the summer and indoors in fall and winter. Co-rec leagues are available, with divisions in each league to allow participants to choose the level of competition that suits them.
Returning 2014 team registration period is March 16 - April 3. New team registration begins April 7. Play begins May 27. Teams will play a ten-week regular season schedule.
League designation definitions are listed below:
Bloomington’s highest level of play, intended for teams seeking a competitive, recreational volleyball experience; additionally, players must have the ability to accurately call fouls on themselves.
Leagues intended for teams who desire a moderately competitive, recreational volleyball experience.
Sand volleyball leagues are self-officiated with a City staff member at the courts each night to provide equipment, collect scorecards, and supervise play. Teams are encouraged to consist of three females and three males; however teams consisting of four females and two males are acceptable. Teams should plan to provide a warm-up ball if they desire. One ball will be provided for play per court during the season.
***2015 Indoor Fall Volleyball league information will be available in early august***
General registration information
There are 5 ways to register for your adult sports league! The options are listed below. Registrations will not be accepted without full payment and completed registration form. Payments may be made with Visa, MasterCard, Discover, check or cash. Please see your respective sports informational page for information regarding fees, registration periods, transfers and deadlines.
OR Download the appropriate registration form using the links below. Forms may be submitted in person, by mail, by email or by fax. Payment is due at time of registration.
- Registration form (Basketball, Softball, Touch Football and Volleyball)
- Baggo registration form
- Kickball registration form
- 3 vs 3 basketball registration form
- Lacrosse registration form
- Roster Addition Form
- 2015 Softball Roster - Waiver
- Alternative registration form (Dodgeball, Inner Tube Water Polo and Lacrosse)
- For tennis and adaptive softball, please see their informational pages for registration forms
In person – Stop by the Parks and Recreation Office, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Our address is:
- 1800 West Old Shakopee Road
Bloomington, MN 55431
By mail– Mail a completed registration form with payment (check, money order, or credit card information) to:
- Bloomington Parks and Recreation
Attn: League Registration
1800 West Old Shakopee Rd
Bloomington, MN 55431
By email – If you have the ability to scan your registration form, this works great! Just scan with credit card payment information and email it to parksrec@BloomingtonMN.gov. Processing may take up to two business days.
By fax – Fax your completed registration form and credit card information to 952-563-8715 (fax number). Please call 952-563-8877 to verify receipt of your registration. Processing may take up to two business days.
League standings and schedules
For standings and schedules, click on the above link. Log on as "Guest" (click the "Guest" button). Then use the "Find" menu at the top of the page to locate the information you are interested in.
Note: You can access the Online Registration page from anywhere on our site. It's listed in the "Arts & Recreation" menu in the strip running across the top of the page.
- Full refunds will be processed if the league your team is registered for is cancelled by Parks and Recreation due to lack of teams.
- Prorated refunds will be processed if scheduled games are cancelled and make up dates are not available due to unavailable facilities.
- Teams will receive a full refund less a $50 service charge if your team withdraws at least 3 weeks before the start of play.
- Refunds will not be processed if your team withdraws less than 3 weeks before the start of play or if your team is removed from the league due to disciplinary action.
In the event of inclement weather, the following procedures will take place:
- The league director will determine if the games are to be played on that evening and update the weather line by 4 p.m.
- The decision will be recorded on the weather line at 952-563-8878 option 1.
- If inclement weather occurs after 4 p.m. staff will update the weather line as timely as possible but games could also be called at the fields.