What is the Bloomington Leadership Program?
The purpose of this free program is to:
- Promote civic engagement and develop leaders in the Bloomington community.
- Break down barriers and misconceptions about local government.
Leadership skills will be developed through educational sessions over the course of four months.
Please apply if you are:
- A Bloomington resident and able to attend 75% of the sessions (no more than 2 absences).
- Passionate and committed to improving the Bloomington community.
- Wanting to learn and develop leadership skills to better your neighborhood, faith community, schools, city, etc.
- Interested in networking and building relationships with City and local non-profit staff and elected officials.
How to apply
- Online application available August 1, 2019.
- Applications are available for pick up at Civic Plaza Information desk.
- Applications are due Monday, August 26, 2019 by 4 p.m.
- Applicants will be notified of enrollment on Friday, August 30.
Testimonials from previous participants
“The program has been beneficial in terms of raising my awareness about local issues, how to be a better citizen, ways to get more involved in the community and possible career paths.”
“I most benefitted from a stronger feeling of connection to my community. I am more certain than ever that Bloomington is a special place.”
"I think everyone should take it, even people who aren’t interested in being involved with local government.”
2019 program dates and topics
- Thursday, September 26: Program Overview, Introductions and Insights Discovery
- Thursday, October 10: Government 101
- Thursday, October 24: City Services
- Saturday, October 26: Personal Leadership Development
- Thursday, November 7: Civic Engagement
- Thursday, November 21: Boards & Commissions
- Saturday, November 23: Leading in the Community
- Thursday, December 5: Inclusion & Equity
- Thursday, December 12: Graduation
Thursday sessions are from 5:30 - 8:30 p.m.; Dinner will be provided from 5:30 - 6 p.m.
Saturday sessions are from 8:30 a.m. - noon.; Continental breakfast will be provided from 8:30 - 9 a.m.