Remodeling resource guide
This remodeling resource page is dedicated as a starting point for remodeling projects in your home! Use it to learn about new products, processes, vocabulary, permits, designs, and programs that will be essential in your projects. It links to helpful Bloomington pages, common questions, ideas, and tips.
Remember, this is only a guide to help get your creative thoughts flowing. The plans contained in this guide can be combined or mixed with other plans you may find. The price estimates included will also vary greatly depending on the types of materials you choose to use and how much work is done by the contractor vs. the homeowner. (Example: painting). The suggested permits and codes will also vary on your project and what you want.
- Basement finishing – Turn your basement into a livable and enjoyable space.
- Bathrooms – Ideas for remodeling your bathroom.
- Energy saving ideas – Simple steps to save energy.
- The Green comparison – Comparison of green methods to traditional remodeling techniques.
- Home calculators – Simple tests to know how the systems in your house work.
- Home improvement guide – Resources on getting started for those big remodeling projects.
- Insulation – The what, where and how of insulation.
- Kitchens – Simple and total kitchen remodeling ideas.
- Landscaping – A guide to make your home stand out in the neighborhood.
- Ramblers – How to update that mid-century ranch- or rambler-style home.
- Remodeling vocabulary -- Definition to terms used in these pages.
- Roof replacement – When to get a new roof, and a comparison of different systems.
- Sample remodeling projects– Ideas and plans to get those creative juices flowing.
- Siding– Process of siding and comparison of types.
- Tax credits and other money savings programs – Resources to help with funding your projects.
- Water heaters– Replacement, buying, types and maintenance.
- Window and door replacement– A guide to understanding the importance of replacing these.
Finally, here are some links to other resources on our website that may be helpful to you.
- Smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors– Requirements on smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Lead, radon and asbestos – Understanding these common finds in remodeling.
- Information Sheets and Handouts – A guide to following our codes and permits while remodeling
- Residential lots for sale– Need land? The HRA has some for sale!