Happy 50th Dwan Golf Course
Fifty years ago, Dwan Golf Course opened at West 110th Street and Xerxes Avenue South. Today, Dwan Golf Course remains one of the most popular public golf courses in Minnesota. See some historical milestones below.
- 1960: Dr. Paul F. Dwan donates land to the City of Bloomington to be used for a golf course.
- 1970: July 10, the first hole-in-one occurs before the course officially opens, when visiting golfer Chuck Helps stands out from the crowd as he aces the 18th hole during the dedication round.
- 1970: July 11, Dwan Golf Course opens to the public. A self-serve snack bar opens.
- 1985: Bloomington native Jim Sorenson, representing Dwan Golf Course, wins the U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship by the largest margin in the history of the event.
- 1986: A remodel updates the service counter, kitchen, lighting, doors and more. Air conditioning is added.
- 2008: The Coen brothers film scenes for the movie, “A Serious Man.” Unfortunately, the shots weren’t included in the final film.
- 2011: A Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program for Golf designation is awarded to Dwan Golf Course for the sustainable management of land, water, wildlife and other natural resources.
- 2017: Manager Rick Sitek, the City’s longest tenured golf manager, retires after 28 years leading Dwan and Hyland Greens golf courses.
- 2020: A new look and name reflect what Dwan Golf Course offers, a place where everyone is welcome, and players of all skill and experience levels can enjoy
- a fun and challenging round of golf.