City of Bloomington Aquatic Herbicide Application Petition
I acknowledge control measures for wetland vegetation are often a temporary solution to decrease aquatic vegetation density and most often do not address underlying issues within a pond ecosystem that may lead to abundant vegetation and algae growth. I understand the City of Bloomington and its employees will not be held responsible should the control measures, administered to a pond or wetland under the wetland vegetation treatment program, be ineffective, short-lived or otherwise compromised. In addition, I agree to the following treatment cost sharing, as contained in the City of Bloomington’s Wetland Vegetation Treatment Policy adopted by the City Council on August 2, 2004:
When the majority of property owners abutting a wetland petition for its treatment, the City will enter into a contract with a qualifying contractor to provide the treatment activity. The City will pay for the cost of wetland vegetation treatment including obtaining a DNR permit and the cost of a contractor to perform the treatment activity according to the following schedule:
- If less than 50% of the abutting owners commit to on-site mitigation, the City will not treat the pond.
- When more that 50% but less than 100% of the abutting owners commit to on-site mitigation, the City will pay half of the cost and all abutting property owners will share the other half of the cost.
- When 100% of the abutting property owners commit to on-site mitigation, the City will pay the total cost of treatment.
I understand that the petition of property owners surrounding each pond is required every year. I am signing my name by my own free act and deed.
By signing this form, I acknowledge that I have read and understand the cost-sharing portion of the City’s Wetland Vegetation Treatment Policy described on this form. I will also commit to the following on-site mitigation measures contained in the City’s policy:
- I agree to establish and maintain a moderate to high quality native vegetation buffer zone as recommended in the City’s Wetland Protection and Management Plan;
- I agree not to dump mulch, grass clippings, leaves and branches near the wetland, in the street, or near a storm drain;
- I agree to comply with other urban landscape best management practices as recommended by the City of Bloomington.
The on-site mitigation measures will substantially reduce run-off of nutrients into your wetland. Reducing the amount of nutrients from reaching a pond mitigates the excessive growth of plants and algae within the pond and will help to increase water clarity.
The undersigned, does hereby petition the City of Bloomington, Public Works Department, Engineering Division, to effect control of aquatic or wetland vegetation species, described below, on the lake or pond, named below.
* Fields marked with a red asterisk are required.
Please take notice that any data received by the City as the result of submitting this form will be classified as government data pursuant to the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, Minnesota Statutes Chapter 13. Under the Data Practices Act, some or all of this data is classified as public data, including your name, address, email address, phone number, and other personal information provided by you. Public data is available to anyone requesting it and consists of all data furnished via this Web form. Please be advised that the correspondence will be added to the public record. The purpose and intended use of the information collected through this form is to obtain public input and data in support of City activities and services. You have the right to refuse to submit this form. If you choose not to submit this form, you will need to contact the City by another means if you wish to provide the information collected by the form.
Nondiscrimination and accommodation commitments
The City of Bloomington does not discriminate on the basis of disability in the admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its services, programs, or activities. Upon request, accommodation will be provided to allow individuals with disabilities to participate in all City of Bloomington services, programs, and activities. Upon request, this information can be provided in Braille, large print, audio tape and/or electronic format.