Nearly 90 years after Bloomington became a township in 1858, the town council voted to create the Bloomington Fire Department. In April 1947, the town council accepted an offer to purchase the land at 95th Street and Syndicate Avenue for one dollar to build its first fire station. Construction of the station was completed in August 1947. A cistern capable of storing 7,000 gallons of water was installed. The siren bell was moved from the Bloomington School to the fire station for sounding a fire call. The total cost of the new fire station and equipment was $24,000.
The new fire department welcomed its first 26 charter members. They were paid one dollar per fire call, and per training drill. The wife of one of the firefighters dispatched fire calls. She would call the constable, then wives of the other firefighters, who would call all of the firefighters to respond to the fire scene or the fire station.
The first fire open house was held October 4, 1947 with dancing and refreshments.
Today, the original fire station, remembered as Station 1, has been replaced and relocated at 10 West 95th Street. In 2022, the BFD will celebrate its 75th anniversary. Learn more about the BFD’s history and achievements in upcoming Briefings.