New Fire Station 3 construction project
The City of Bloomington is planning a new Fire Station 3 at East Old Shakopee Road and East 86th Street.
The station will replace the existing station 3 which is located 2 blocks to the west, on E. 86th Street and 22nd Avenue. The project is necessary because the current fire station no longer meets the needs of the fire department. The station is 50 years old, and the cost of maintaining and repairing the old building has become unsustainable.
Design plans are nearly complete. The Fire Department hopes the project will go to bid late 2018 or early in 2019 and to break ground on the project next spring.
- Complete station design: Late 2018
- Hold one-on-one placemaking meetings with select stakeholders: Late 2018 / Early 2019
- Conduct bidding process: Early 2019
- Select preferred placemaking approach(es): Early 2019
- Start construction: Spring / Summer 2019
- Issue placemaking RFP and select placemaking artist(s): 2019
- Construct placemaking elements: 2020