Highway 5: Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport
Plan for major road work around the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, April – October 2020.
- Eastbound Highway 5 will be closed from April until August.
- Westbound Highway 5 will be closed from August until October.
- Bridges and ramps to and from westbound Highway 5 where Highways 5/55/62 meet will be closed for one month starting in July.
- Eastbound I-494 will have weekend closures between the Minnesota River Bridge in Mendota Heights and 3rd Avenue in South Saint Paul.
- Bridge and ramp work will occur at the I-35E/I-494 interchange throughout the construction season.
The map below illustrates the work included in this project (listed above). Click the map to view a larger version. Use your browser's "back" button to return to this page.
Give yourself an extra hour on the road if your destination is the airport. Highway 5 closures and detours will add time to your drive. Expect longer delays on highways around the airport during peak travel times. Before you drive, consider other travel options like light rail to help make your trip more predictable.
Stay up to date
MnDOT has created AroundTheAirport.com to serve as a hub of information about this project.
The MnDOT project webpage provides additional information including details about the project's current status (when available).
What is the scope of the project?
MnDOT and its partners are working to repair and improve Highway 5 from 34th Avenue to Highways 55/62 and along I-494 to 3rd Avenue. Work will include road resurfacing and ramp and bridge repairs in the project area, including the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport entrance.
What is the project schedule?
April – October 2020.