101st Street and Utah Avenue Traffic Circle
On Monday March 7, 2011 the Bloomington City Council approved the installation of a permanent traffic circle at the intersection of W 101st Street and Utah Avenue. The traffic circle will be installed during the 2011 constructions season. Along with the construction of the traffic circle, improvements to the pedestrian crossings at this intersection will also be made.
This location is currently an uncontrolled intersection with a reported neighborhood concern. As part of the intersection study, the City Engineering Department is proposing to installed a temporary traffic circle at this location. Below is information that was available at the May 13, 2010 Trial Open House.
View additional video clips on our YouTube channel
A trailer with video recording equipment was placed at the intersection to evaluate the performance of the circle. Click the links below to see short clips of this video data.
- Video: SUV and trailer
- Video: UPS truck
- Video: Two vehicles approaching and yielding
- Video: Car/motorcycle/bikes
- Video: Multiple vehicles
101st and Utah Intersection Study and Trial
|Project Goals||2 - Way Stop||4 - Way Stop||Traffic Circle|
|Permanent Accident Reduction||Yes||No||Yes|
|Neighborhood Speed Reduction||No||No||Yes|
|Minimize neighborhood Impacts (noise, air pollution, delay … )||Yes||No||Yes|
How to Drive Around a Traffic Circle
- Vehicles should keep to the right and travel around the traffic circle in a counter-clockwise direction.
- Vehicles entering the intersection should yield to the vehicle on the right and to vehicles already in the intersection as well as any crossing pedestrians.
General Display Boards
- Existing Conditions
- Traffic Circle - Plan view
- Existing traffic circle photos
- Intersection conflict points comparison
- Handout / FAQ