For many people, springtime means Girl Scouts cookies.
As Bloomington’s population soared from 9,900 in 1950 to 50,500 in 1960, so did schools and youth organizations. Groups, like the Girl Scouts thrived in Bloomington as they made friendships and learned about civic duty and kindness.
In 1960, Girl Scout cookies came in four varieties: vanilla or chocolate-filled sandwich, shortbread, and chocolate mints (now known as Thin Mints). Each box of cookie sold for less than 50 cents.
The Intermediate Girl Scout uniform was a green blouse and skirt worn with a tie and beret.
Additional memorabilia of youth organizations 1930s to 1960s are on display at Civic Plaza, 1800 West Old Shakopee Road, through April. Journey to the past of youth organizations: Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Camp Fire Girls, 4H and the Bloomington Athletic Association.