Go green for the holidays
Want to lessen your environmental impact? Try these green holiday tips. Even if you only pick one, you can make a difference.
- Focus on what makes the holidays special rather than what you might do out of habit or in response to advertisements.
- Decorate with your favorite things and reuse them. Need new ornaments? Buy used or create something new from repurposed items. Save energy with LED lights and a timer. Get a live tree and replant after the holidays.
- Bring reusable bags and avoid impulse buying. Opt for lightly packaged gifts or make gifts from used items. Consider gift cards, gift certificates or charitable contributions.
- Use recycled, paper-based holiday cards or make your own. For gift wrapping, opt for recyclable paper or decorate plain paper. Reuse ribbons or bows.
- Buy and waste less by planning menus. Serve favorite foods from local and organic sources. Avoid canned and prepackaged items. Compost food scraps. Have reusable containers on hand to send leftovers home with your guests.
- Use cloth napkins, real dishes, take-home containers and other reusable items. If you need disposable items, go compostable, biodegradable or recyclable.