The Bloomington City Clerk’s Office is an authorized Passport Acceptance Facility located at Bloomington Civic Plaza, first floor, City Clerk counter.
The City accepts passport applications by appointment only. Appointments are available Monday through Friday, 8:20 a.m. – 3 p.m.
You need an appointment if:
- You are a first time applicant,
- You are under 18,
- Your previous passport was issued over 15 years ago,
- Your previous passport was issued when you were under the age of 16,
- Your previous passport is badly damaged, lost or stolen,
- Your previous passport was in a different name and you are unable to submit proper documentation to reflect the name change, or
- Your previous passport was a limited validity passport.
You do not need an appointment if you can renew by mail.
Renewal by mail is required if all of the following are true:
Your most recent U.S. passport:
- Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
- Was valid for 10 years;
- Was issued within the last 15 years; and
- Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change with original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change.
Complete the DS82 renewal application form and follow the directions. The DS82 renewal application form is also available for pick-up at the City Clerk counter.
Passport photos are available for $15; no appointment is necessary.
Make your appointment online
One appointment time-slot per person (Family of four = 4 appointments)
Complete the DS11 application form in black ink. Follow the instructions in the email confirmation. To modify or cancel your appointment, go to your email confirmation and follow the prompt on the yellow bar.
|Fee Description||Adult (16 & older)||Child (15 & younger)|
|U.S. Department of State fee*||City of Bloomington fee||U.S. Department of State fee*||City of Bloomington fee|
|Express mail||Subject to postal rates||Subject to postal rates||Subject to postal rates||Subject to postal rates|
|Overnight delivery return (books only)||Subject to postal rates||Subject to postal rates||Subject to postal rates||Subject to postal rates|
*For U.S. Department of State fees: Check or money order only. A separate check or money order is required for each application.
How can I check the status of my application?
Passports are processed and issued by the U.S. Department of State. If you have already applied and would like to check the status of your application, call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or TDD/TTY at 1-888-874-7793 or visit their website.
How do I apply for a new passport book or card?
- Complete the application for U.S. passport. A Social Security number is required. Bring a completed DS-11 application. You must use black ink; DO NOT sign the application.
- Bring required payment (check or money order only for U.S. Department of State payment)
- Submit proof of U.S. Citizenship (one of the following):
- Certified birth certificate (issued by your county or state of birth)
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Present current primary identification:
- Current, undamaged passport
- Valid MN driver’s license
- Clipped MN Driver’s license with yellow receipt
- Current MN ID card
- Naturalization Certificate
- Current Government ID (city, state or federal)
- Current Military ID (military and dependents)
- Note: An out-of-state Driver’s License or ID requires secondary identification.
- Provide a passport photo that meets the passport photo quality requirements. Photo services are available at Bloomington Civic Plaza.
- If the application is for a child, refer to the U.S. State Department's Minors Under Age 16 Web page.
What is a Passport Card?
The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.
How do I renew my passport?
The U.S. Department of State Passport Services requires you to renew your passport by mail if it meets eligibility requirements. If your passport is eligible for renewal by mail, you cannot renew it at the Bloomington City Clerk’s Office. For more information, visit the U.S. State Department's "Renew Passport" Web page.
What are the payment options?
For U.S. Department of State fees: Check or money order only. A separate check or money order is required for each application.
For City of Bloomington fees: Check, money order, cash or credit card.
When will I receive my passport?
Apply for your passport early to ensure that you receive it in time. For routine processing, please allow 4-6 weeks.
How do I get a passport in less than three weeks?
If you are travelling in less than three weeks, you must apply for a passport at the Minneapolis Regional Passport Agency, located at 212 3rd Avenue South in Minneapolis. Call 1-877-487-2778 for an appointment.
Bring a passport photo, as they do not take photos at this office.