Building and Inspections
Building and Inspections reviews plans for consistency with codes, issues permits, and conducts all inspections of work-in-progress and completed work. This division also administers the Time-of-Sale program for owner-occupied housing.
Effective 10/1/2015, fixed permit fees apply to the following:
- Demolition (as of 11/17/15) - $75
- Residential roofing only - $100
- Residential siding only - $150
- Residential roofing & siding combined - $250
- Contractor Licensing and Trade Testing
- Information Sheets and Handouts
- Permit Applications
- Permit Status Report
- Time-of-Sale Inspection Program
Homeowners who live in their home may choose to act as their own general contractor. Homeowners assume all the legal liabilities for the job, including workers' compensation insurance, state and federal withholding taxes, planning, permits, project supervision, scheduling inspections, and problem solving.
Minnesota law requires that most residential building contractors, remodelers, roofers and manufactured-home installers obtain state licenses. The Department of Labor and Industry also licenses other trades such as electrical and plumbing contractors. To verify licensing, go to Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry.