Building and Inspections
Plans are reviewed for consistency with codes, permits are approved and issued, and inspections are conducted for work-in-progress and completed work. The division also administers the Time-of-Sale (TOS) program for single and two-family residential dwellings, town homes, mobile homes and condominiums offered for sale.
- Information Sheets and Handouts - Commercial and Residential
- Permit Applications and Fees - Commercial and Residential
- Permit Status and Monthly Building Reports
- Time-of-Sale (TOS) Housing Inspection Program
- Trade Testing and Contractor Licensing
The Department of Labor and Industry issues licenses for building, electrical, and plumbing trade contractors along with many other types of trades. Minnesota law requires that most residential building contractors, remodelers, roofers and manufactured home installers obtain state licenses. To verify licensing, visit Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry.
Trade contractors performing mechanical, HVAC, and gas-related work in Bloomington must obtain a contractor license through the Building and Inspections division at the City of Bloomington. Please visit the Trade Testing and Contractor Licensing page for more information.