Skip to main content
A SNOW EMERGENCY is in effect in Bloomington.  More information...

Trade Testing and Contractor Licensing

Trade Testing

Trade testing allows contractors to prove competency in HVAC or Gas Installer - Class 'A'. Trade testing is administered quarterly starting at 8:00 am in the Community Development Department on the first floor at Bloomington City Hall.

If you have specific questions about HVAC or gas installer test requirements, please call Building and Inspections at 952-563-8930 to speak with the mechanical inspector who conducts the testing. 

Upcoming testing dates for the current year are:

  • March 16, 2018 (currently taking registration for this date only)
  • June 15, 2018
  • September 21, 2018
  • December 21, 2018

You may register online or call the Building & Inspection Division to register.

Contractor Licensing - Annual Renewal

Please complete the two online (fillable) forms below and email both forms along with copies of related Minneapolis or St. Paul Certificate of Competency cards and a current Mechanical Contractor Bond on file at the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DOLI) to You may also mail documents and forms to the Building & Inspection Division. Payment is due at the time of application and we accept Visa, Master Card, and Discover credit cards or check payable to City of Bloomington:

  1. PDF iconContractor License Application
  2. PDF iconCertificate of Compliance Minnesota Workers' Compensation Law

The State of Minnesota requires that your MN Tax ID (not federal tax ID) be kept on file at the City of Bloomington. The MN Tax ID must be provided on your Contractor License Application prior to issuance of your contractor license. You may register to obtain your free MN Tax ID in less than 10 minutes at the MN Department of Revenue website

Minneapolis or St. Paul Certificate of Competency or proof of passing the City's HVAC or Gas Installer - Class 'A' quarterly test must be included with every Contractor License Application. Please verify the expiration date on each master Certificate of Competency. The type of work covered by each master competency is listed below:

  • HVAC - warm air, ventilation, and air conditioning. Warm air competence covers ventilation and air conditioning.
  • Hot Water/Steam - commercial or residential boiler work.
  • Oil Burner - equipment with a fuel input of 1,000,000 BTU/hr or greater.
  • Refrigeration - commercial refrigeration only.
  • Gas Installer - Class 'A' (for work involving gas lines to furnaces, boilers, make-up air and rooftop units)

Plumbing requirements - the City of Bloomington does require a valid Plumbing Contractor License along with the licensed master plumber of record be on file at the MN Department of Labor & Industry but the City of Bloomington no longer requires an annual plumbing registration fee. 

To do work involving natural Gas (Class 'B' work involving gas water heaters, stoves, dryers, grills, gas fireplaces, inserts), a current Mechanical Contractor Bond on file at the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DOLI) must be submitted along with the Contractor License Application and the $75 license fee.

Water & Utility License

An annual water & utility license ($50 fee) must be obtained at The City of Bloomington in order to do outside work such as sewer work or external plumbing work from the street to the structure. Please call the Utilities Division at 952-563-8777 to obtain information about licensing and permitting.