Trade Testing and Contractor Licensing
On this page
Trade testing allows hvac/mechanical contractors to prove competency in HVAC or Gas Installer - Class 'A'. Contractor trade testing is administered quarterly starting at 8:00 am in the Community Development Department on the first floor at Bloomington City Hall.
If you have specific questions about HVAC or gas installer test requirements, please call Building and Inspections at 952-563-8930 to speak with the mechanical inspector who conducts the testing.
To register for an upcoming test, click on one of the following links.
Please complete following two online forms and email both forms to inspections@BloomingtonMN.gov along with other required documents listed below. Payment is due at the time of application by Visa, Master Card, and Discover credit card or by check payable to City of Bloomington:
Required documents to include with Contractor License Application:
1. Mechanical Contractor Bond on file at the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DOLI).
2. Minneapolis or St. Paul Certificate of Competency or proof of passing the City of Bloomington's HVAC or Gas Installer - Class 'A' quarterly test. Please verify the expiration date on each master Certificate of Competency. The type of work covered by each master competency is listed below:
- Gas Installer - Class 'A' - gas lines to furnaces, boilers, make-up air and rooftop units.
- HVAC - warm air, ventilation, and air conditioning. Warm air competence covers ventilation and air conditioning.
- Hot Water/Steam - commercial or residential boiler work.
- Oil Burner - equipment with a fuel input of 1,000,000 BTU/hr or greater.
- Refrigeration - commercial refrigeration only.
3. The State of Minnesota requires that your MN Tax ID (not federal tax ID) be kept on file at the City of Bloomington. The MN Tax ID must be provided on your Contractor License Application prior to issuance of your contractor license. You may register to obtain your free MN Tax ID in less than 10 minutes through the following link https://www.mndor.state.mn.us/tp/webreg from the MN Department of Revenue.
Companies must have a valid Plumbing Contractor (PC) License on file at the MN Department of Labor & Industry along with a licensed Master Plumber of Record (PM) to perform residential or commercial plumbing work inside the structure.
To do work involving natural gas (Class 'B' work involving gas water heaters, stoves, dryers, grills, gas fireplaces, inserts), a current Mechanical Contractor Bond must be on file at the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DOLI) and must be submitted along with the Contractor License Application and the $75 license fee.
A water & utility license must be obtained through The City of Bloomington Public Works in order to do outside work such as sewer work or external plumbing work from the street to the structure. Please call the Utilities Division at 952-563-8777 to obtain information about licensing and permitting.