Permit Applications and Fees
Payment of permit fees is not due at the time of application for most permit applications. City staff will call or e-mail the applicant with the permit fees due.The City of Bloomington accepts credit card payment by Visa, Master Card or Discover card or checks payable to the City of Bloomington.
Building, Demolition, Foundation, Grading, Roofing Commercial, Structural
- Building Commercial - new building, tenant or building remodel, cellular tower, exterior finish work, or temporary structure.
- Building Residential - new dwelling, basement finish, bay, bow, or egress windows, drain tile, addition, accessory buildings, garage, fence, or wood burning fireplace.
- Demolition - entire structure or interior spaces. $75 flat permit fee.
- Roofing Commercial
Note: Homeowners who live in their home may choose to act as their own general contractor. Homeowners assume all the legal liabilities for the job, including workers' compensation insurance, state and federal withholding taxes, planning, permits, project supervision, scheduling inspections, and problem solving.
Deck, Driveway, Roofing, Siding, Swimming Pool/Spa
- Driveway - to obtain this permit, please call the Planning Division at 952-563-8920.
- Roofing or Siding (residential only) - a separate Electrial Permit Application may be required for siding related work. Electrical work must be done by a licensed master electrician or the homesteaded owner.
- Swimming Pool/Spa
Residential Roofing permit fee = $100 flat fee
Residential Siding permit fee = $150 flat fee
Residential Roofing and Siding combined permit fee = $250 flat fee
Electrical, Mechanical/HVAC, Plumbing
A separate Electrical Permit Application must be submitted along with trade applications for the following: Mechanical/HVAC Permit Application for work that includes reconnects (e.g. furnace wiring), Plumbing Permit Application for work involving electric water heaters, Roofing or Siding Permit Application for work involving outside fixtures.
Fire Alarm, Fire Suppression, Tank/Pipe Installation or Removal
Fire Prevention - Daycare or Foster Care, Open Burning
Special Events - Temporary Fire Marshal, Tent/Canopy
Temporary Fire Marshal permit fee = $50
Tent/Canopy permit fee = $50
Moving a Structure, Parking Lot
Permit Fee Information
Minimum fees and fee calculations can be found on the back of most permit applications. Electrical, Mechanical/HVAC, and Plumbing trade permits have minimum residential and commercial fees along with an added state surcharge. Other fees (e.g. plan review fees) may apply.