Permit Applications and Fees
The City of Bloomington now has an online portal available for most permit applications. Once registered, applicants may apply for permits through the portal, attach related plans and document submittals, pay fees, and view or print via the online portal. Applicants may register at the following link Permit Portal.
If applicants would rather not register on the portal, completed and signed permit applications (found below) may still be e-mailed to inspections@BloomingtonMN.gov.
Please don’t hesitate to contact Building and Inspections at 952-563-8930 if you have questions about submitting a permit. Our staff will gladly walk you through the portal registration and permit submittal process.
Building, Demolition, Foundation, Grading, Roofing Commercial, Structural
- Building Commercial - new building, tenant or building remodel, cellular tower, exterior finish work, or temporary structure.
- Building Residential - new dwelling, basement finish, bay, bow, or egress windows, drain tile, addition, accessory buildings, garage, fence, or wood burning fireplace.
- Demolition - entire structure or interior spaces. $75 flat permit fee.
- Roofing Commercial
Deck, Roofing, Siding, Swimming Pool/Spa
- Driveway - to obtain this permit, please call the Planning Division at 952-563-8920.
- Roofing or Siding (residential only) - a separate Electrical Permit Application may be required for siding related work. Electrical work must be done by a licensed master electrician or the homesteaded owner.
- Swimming Pool/Spa
Residential Roofing permit fee = $100 flat fee
Residential Siding permit fee = $150 flat fee
Residential Roofing and Siding combined permit fee = $250 flat fee
Electrical, Mechanical/HVAC, Plumbing
A separate Electrical Permit Application must be submitted along with trade applications for the following: Mechanical/HVAC Permit Application for work that includes reconnects (e.g. furnace wiring), Plumbing Permit Application for work involving electric water heaters, Roofing or Siding Permit Application for work involving outside fixtures.
Fire Alarm, Fire Suppression, Tank/Pipe Installation or Removal
Fire Prevention - Daycare or Foster Care, Open Burning
Daycare or Foster Care permit fee = $55
Open Burning permit fee = $55
Special Events - Temporary Fire Marshal, Tent/Canopy
Temporary Fire Marshal permit fee = $55
Tent/Canopy permit fee = $55
Moving a Structure, Parking Lot
Permit Fee Information
Effective April 1, Building Permit Applications received without a named contractor requires payment of the plan review portion of fees prior to being accepted.
Minimum fees and fee calculations can be found on the back of most permit applications. Electrical, Mechanical/HVAC, and Plumbing trade permits have minimum residential and commercial fees along with an added state surcharge. Other fees (e.g plan review fees) may apply.
The City of Bloomington accepts credit card payment by Visa, Master Card or Discover card or checks payable to the City of Bloomington.