Founded in 1858, Bloomington is located in southern Hennepin County and is bounded by Interstate 494 to the north, Highway 169 to the west and the Minnesota River to the south and east. The Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport is directly north of the city. Light rail transit connects the South Loop District, which contains the Mall of America, to the airport and downtown Minneapolis.
Bloomington is home to more than 85,000 residents and 90,000 jobs. Major industries include retail and entertainment, hotel and restaurant, health maintenance and computer manufacturing.
The City of Bloomington is a council-manager form of government with full-time staff of more than 500. Fiscally, the City maintains the highest triple A bond ratings from three ratings agencies: Standard & Poor's, Moody's, and Fitch. The main campus is located at the corner of 98th Street and West Old Shakopee Road.
- A to Z index of this website's content
- Budget - The City's annual budget must be reviewed and approved by the City Council in December of the previous year.
- Community links
- Community profile - A statistical picture of our city using population, housing and employment and other vital information.
- Creative Placemaking - Find information on the 2015 Demonstration Projects and other upcoming events
- Employee compensation
- Events calendar - City Council and other boards' meetings with their collateral materials, Center for the Arts events, and Parks and Recreation activities are listed. Check back often for updates.
- History - Although Bloomington has been an incorporated city since 1960, its rich history dates back to the mid-1800s. Many things have changed since Gideon Pond established Oak Grove Mission in 1843.
- Mission, values and vision - The City Council's vision and mission designed to guide our community and organization.
- Organizational chart